S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks,
I have the 2.8l 1985 s10. It has some noisy lifters. To my understanding, these are hydraulic lifters and should not need to be adjusted past the initial install. Is that correct?

So what causes noisy lifters?
Worn cam?
Dirty, plugged oil ports?
incorrectly adjusted valve lash?
Am I missing anything?

It seemed like they got significantly quieter when I ran an oil flush through the motor, but only while the flush was in the motor. I plan on doing a second flush too. I'll pay close attention when I do. If so, then I think it points to a dirty engine, correct? The motor idles and starts poorly too(when cold, a little better when warm).

I think I am going to get a compression check, that might give me usefull info.

thoughts?
what would you do?
mark

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Suggestion:
Pull a valve cover and see if there is any mud under it. That is a good indication that a PO did not change the oil frequently. At the same time, you can run the engine and see if you have any "lazy" rocker arms - indicating a worn cam.
If the head under the R cover is clean, that is a good sign. If it is muddy, not a good sign...

If the engine has a factory original cam, and the engine now has noisy lifters, this usually indicates a worn cam, or worn rocker arm pivot balls. All this will have to be determined by removing the valve covers.

I had a 71 Pontiac Lemas convert in my shop - once upon a time - that had a mild skip, noisy rockers and was low on power. After the usual checks, I pulled a valve cover and found some SERIOUS mud. It also had a few rockers that barely moved.

I knew the owner personally and asked her if she changed her oil recently...
You know what the answer was?

"Oh, you have to change the oil?"

Ok, I pulled the intake off and could hardly see the lifters, or for that matter - the pushrods. It was the worst I had ever seen. I scraped out a SHOEBOX of mud. The cam had 2 1/2 round lobes! :eek:
I cleaned everything and installed a good used cam from a Pontiac 421, Cloyes roller chain set, I also had to replace 2 rocker assemblies. To my amazement, the engine ran like a freight train. (350 2 barrel Pontiac enigne)
Even she was surprised.

Moral of story? There are a few of them.
1. Change yer damn oil!
2. A muddy engine isn't dead yet!
3. Noisy lifters = worn parts
4. Fresh cam = POWER

Sorry for the book, but maybe it helps explain stuff.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggestion:
Pull a valve cover and see if there is any mud under it. That is a good indication that a PO did not change the oil frequently. At the same time, you can run the engine and see if you have any "lazy" rocker arms - indicating a worn cam.
If the head under the R cover is clean, that is a good sign. If it is muddy, not a good sign...

If the engine has a factory original cam, and the engine now has noisy lifters, this usually indicates a worn cam, or worn rocker arm pivot balls. All this will have to be determined by removing the valve covers.

I had a 71 Pontiac Lemas convert in my shop - once upon a time - that had a mild skip, noisy rockers and was low on power. After the usual checks, I pulled a valve cover and found some SERIOUS mud. It also had a few rockers that barely moved.

I knew the owner personally and asked her if she changed her oil recently...
You know what the answer was?

"Oh, you have to change the oil?"

Ok, I pulled the intake off and could hardly see the lifters, or for that matter - the pushrods. It was the worst I had ever seen. I scraped out a SHOEBOX of mud. The cam had 2 1/2 round lobes! :eek:
I cleaned everything and installed a good used cam from a Pontiac 421, Cloyes roller chain set, I also had to replace 2 rocker assemblies. To my amazement, the engine ran like a freight train. (350 2 barrel Pontiac enigne)
Even she was surprised.

Moral of story? There are a few of them.
1. Change yer damn oil!
2. A muddy engine isn't dead yet!
3. Noisy lifters = worn parts
4. Fresh cam = POWER

Sorry for the book, but maybe it helps explain stuff.
I appreciate he "book", seriously. I never grumble at qualified info. Thanks!!!

As to mud, nope. I have had the valve covers off. A little carbon build up, but zero mud. I like number 4, and pretty much agree that I have number 3 going on. I figure I am going to do the carb first, it needs done no matter what. I doubt it will have much effect on the noisy lifters. Then I'll do the cam and lifters if needed.

thanks again!
mark

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
My buddy had an old 6cyl Ford Fairmont...to say it was neglected and abused would be a major understatement. I don't think he changed the oil for two year and pounded on it relentlessly. We put a valve cover gasket on it once and I remember the chunks of stuff that fell out of it. Unreal. We cleaned the chunks and tuned it up and it ran so smooth at idle it was difficult to tell it was running when you put your hand on it. Had to wreck it to kill it...and it still would start but not drive anymore. I miss old good bangers like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing