S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a bad alternator whine. I know the problem is the power and the RCAS are too close, but i can't move them. The amp is located on the passengerside under the seat, and the power comes from the antenna grommet, and the RCAS come from the factory cd player location to the amp. So they have to be pretty close together, one way or another.

So should i now get a noise filter like this, to cut the whine down?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISGLI

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Or get better RCA's , they have a set for bout $100 or so that work good , I had them in my malibu run right next to 4awg power and never got any noise .

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, i can get the noise filter for around 15-20 bucks, or RCA's? i will check and see which one i can get in my town, cause i need one now!

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
325 Posts
Still shouldn't "need" one. Most newer amps handle RCA induced noise fairly well. And those ground loop eliminators kill the audio. Even with a 'nicer' you'll loose. You're certain that's where noise is coming from coming from?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Check on the filter if that cheap . the reason I got those RCA's was cause my old sponsor gave them to me . I might have an extra set around if I can find them will let them go really really cheap .

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i checked at my local car audio store, he said he has a set of Stinger Helix series i can get for less the 25 bucks or so, i may check them out.

But he said if i stop by there today we can test the RCAs and see if they are the cause for the noise.

·
dixie highway destroyer
4,418 Posts
while you're at it, try running a new ground for your hu and any eq's/crossovers/processors you have. most of them have nothing more than the little 20 guage wire that grounded the stock radio. i just ran an 8 gauge and a distro block up there. it fixed A LOT of whine i had on an older system.

·
dixie highway destroyer
4,418 Posts
if you want to buy some nice "monster" rca's and not make them yourself, go to www.partsexpress.com and look up their av cables... dayton audio is their house brand and it's killer stuff. they have some very nicely built rca's for around $10-15 a set, depending on lengths. best rca's you'll find for the money.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What HU do you have? How are things grounded?

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
i bought a ground loop isolator for my noise. When I plugged it in, it filtered out everything!!! The sub wouldn't even play when it was plugged in. So I then plugged it in to the HU end and still filtered it all out completly?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i got a filter yestereday and it works AWSOME!!! didn't hurt anything, but it filtered out the whine from the alt. so everything is good now!

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
I take it, thats a ground loop isolator? Now how's come it works with your but when I plug mine in, it filters out everything?

·
Baby > Home > S10
9,517 Posts
91S104x4 said:
I take it, thats a ground loop isolator? Now how's come it works with your but when I plug mine in, it filters out everything?
It might be plugged in backwards. Ground loop isolators will only work in one direction. try that.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got an off brand that the local stereo shop carried. it cost like 10 bucks i think. worked good though.

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
well my isolator has the two males on one end and the two females on the other. The two males get plugged into he amp, and the two females get plugged into the RCAs coming from the Hu? I can think of any other way of turning it around?

·
Baby > Home > S10
9,517 Posts
91S104x4 said:
yeah so does mine?
Mine has the male ends plugged into the headunit, then RCA wires attached to the female ends to the RCA wires then plug into the amp. Thats how mine is and the ground loop isolator doesnt kill signal for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts