S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New member here.. nice to meet everone.. so don't know where to post this but I have a 93 s10 pickup with a 2.5l tech 4 and I just changed starter.. well my dumb*** took distributor out and didn't mark now can't get it to start. All I get is flames coming out of carburetor and that's about it.. need help with dizzy install and timing please.. thanks hope someone can help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello , I would start by getting the # 1 cylinder on TDC and checking your timing marks on the front crankshaft pulley . Then put your dist. back in and set the rotor pointing to #1 on the cap . Hope this helps .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
So update I did set the #1 cylinder to top dead center and the rotor points to #1. Motor kinda half *** starts but won't stay runing. As soon as I press the throttle it cuts out.. the specs say 8 degrees top dead center can someone explain thanks fleetweld for your info

·
the new guy
901 Posts
sometimes the crank pulley has two marks, one is tdc and one is the mark where the distributor should sit. not having a 2.5, I cannot tell you if you do, or not.

but, put everything to tdc and get your timing gun and set it to 8 deg before and when it reads tdc, you should be good, if its like a normal engine.

every engine I think I have ever done has timing set before tdc, if I remember right. and the reason I think that is because those 8 degrees gives the gives the piston time to reach tdc as the flame spreads and allows the combustion to expand giving you the power you want. if its after tdc then you would lose power because you would already be entering the exhaust stoke of the otto cycle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts