S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
stock again
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
no spark, seriously HELP!

ack! my work truck (83, 2.8) was running fine the other day, i left it parked for a week or so, and now i can't get any spark at all. i replaced the coil, cap, and rotor, and well as checked all the fuses. can anyone tell me what im missing here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
not too familiar with the '83's but do you have an ignition module?
That would be the first thing I would check.
Do you have a crankshaft position sensor (I doubt it)?
Is spark getting to your coil? (I saw you replaced the coil)

·
stock again
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, update here, i checked again, and i was wrong, i actually am getting spark to the cylinders, they just arent firing at all. this makes it even more confusing to me, because if there is spark, it should fire when primed, right? even if the timing is off, i would think it would at least do something.

no crank or cam sensor that i know of, although those things have cause me hell on my 98 a few times.

i tested the coil today, and am def. getting power to it, and def getting spark to the cylinders.

anyone know what i am forgettting? i cant seem to figure this crap out!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay, Internal combustion 100. You need fuel,air(right proportions)and spark(at the right time) to make engine go. It sounds like a joke but, how much spark? I have seen(and been fooled )by spark jumping across spark plug out in open,and it won't fire once it is in the cylinder. What color is the spark? Yellow is not enough,looking for deep blue. Also, did you chsck the wires?They can crack or have high resistance and screw you every time. You replaced the cap and rotor,good.What about the coil? is it new? I have seen the coil arc down to the bracket and give you just enough spark to fire the plug. what about new plugs. Also when you crank the engine, are the plugs coming out wet? If this engine is flooded(very easy to do) you will play [email protected] getting it to start. After eliminating all this check the static time,hold finger over #1 cylinder spark plug hole and crank to you feel pressure.(bump starter) then turn crank by hand using belt to turn until you line up marks on balancer of flywheel. Pop the distributer cap and rotor should be near #1 spark plug wire on cap. If not,your out of time. If you get this far and it still won't start, Hang a clove of garlic over steering wheel,Raise hood and fire 6 silver tipped .357 magnums in water pump and get a new truck!

·
stock again
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plug are coming out fouled, but not like, wet. tried it with a new coil, no luck. seems to me like even with a weak spark, i should still at least get something, even if its just a backfire through the carb. what kills me is that it was running fine, i shut it off, and came back a week later and now this. as far as the spark, i couldnt say what color, since it was in the daytime that i checked.

in about 30-35 cars/trucks, i have never had this much bs.

only thing i havent checked so far is the timing, since it was running, and was not disturbed at all, it seems like that shouldnt be a concern?

·
Registered
134 Posts
What does fouled mean? Also you are in fla.? check you ground wires. The salt in the air down there is corrosion central.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey prove I'm dumb, Grab a set of jumper cables and go from the neg on the battery to the engine block,and run a wire from the coil bracket to ground and see if it starts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you have a timing belt or chain. If its a belt it could have broke the last time you shut your truck off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts