S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 S-10 4.3 4X4 has gone through some extensive rebuilding. Everything has been put back together and is ready to fire it up for first time in about 4 months. Yesterday I toped off the fluids and try to fire it up. Cranked and burned up the starter, run down to parts store and pick up new one. Install new starter and crank it some more. Its not getting spark on any plug. I took my tester and I have voltage at the coil 13.3 v as I was charging the battery at the same time. Coil was replaced about 3 years ago. Still no spark. I am thinking that I missed a connecter somewhere or a ground. Searched no spark on forums and found that it could be the distributor pick up? That sends the timing signal to the coil? that’s where I am going to start today.

So I am assuming that there should be voltage at the dist pick up and an assuming 12 volts

If anyone knows how many grounds there are and where they go that would be great start to track that down.

Also I have power in cab line lights in dash but my blower fan has none don’t know if its related or not still could be a ground??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I’m going to throw some parts at it.
Truck has new
Cap and rotor and plugs along with wires
Camshaft sensor (located in distributor) is there a way to replace the tin trigger??
Coil
Ignition module I think that’s what its called was located on same bracket as the coil.

I have started to re-check the grounds and found that the main one off the battery was in wrong spot. reconnected it to bolt hole to the side pass side of block down by harmonic balancer

I cleaned up the one off the pass side that’s from the head to the firewall, it was braided

Anything else?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
there's a ground on the block on the passenger side underneath or behind the belt tensioner pulley (idler pulley?)

did you replace your timing chain cover..? mess with or shim the crankshaft sensor?

the ignition module can be tested at autozone, they have for me a couple times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
timing cover was replaced put old sensor back in, it came with a new bracket and bolt. thats about it. the crank trigger is keyed to the crank so couldent have messed that up same with the balance shaft and cam shaft if you line up the dots its in right.

could the dist be off a tooth? I put it (the rotor) pointing between #1 and #6 later i saw that the dist has a notch in the houseing with a #6 on it so that would tell me that the rotor should point one side or the other of that notch im going to dbl ck it tonight

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
the rotor should be pointing towards the #6 on the distributor base. my truck wouldn't run on my motor swap until i got the timing completely right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts