S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just finished swapping in my new 4l60e from monster transmission! 1997 s10 btw. Everything worked great and it shifts really smooth. Only problem I’ve found is my reverse lights don’t come on anymore! Anybody know why? I’ve heard about a neutral safety switch or something? They worked before with the old tranny so it’s probably something I messed up while putting the new one in. Let me know what you guys think

·
Been there Done it
12,796 Posts
I'll go out a limb here and assume (yeah, I know) that it's a 4l60E. Which would have one of these:

It has elongated mounting holes so that you can swivel it if needed to adjust when the neutral safety switch and reverse switches in side it turn on and off at the correct spot. If it is starting correctly in neutral and park but only the reverse function is not working it's likely something else.
First possibility is that the switch is bad because it got damaged taking it on and off. Another possibility is that if you removed the connectors, which are hot glued in place to assure water tightness, that a pin got damaged or a connector got damaged if you removed and replaced it w/o using a heat gun to soften the glue. Even using a heat gun they can be a PITA. I bent a pin on my 4L80E installing the connectors on one of my trucks. Both transmissions use the same switch. I was able to see it and carefully straightened it and now it works fine.

C is 12V from BU fuse, switched. F is 12V out to BU lights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts