S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my entire truck taken apart. The torque converter emptied, and I installed a transgo shift kid, for automatic shifting. It can be completed in 4 hours, I did it in 8 (the whole day) so I know I did it all correct. I've added 12 quarts of atf to get it to full. od, d, 2, 1 all work, I took it for a ride and it seemed to shift ok, but not perfectly perfect. I don't have reverse at all. A mechanic told me I have to shift it through all the gears for 3 hours sometimes, I've done that a whole bunch of times, with no luck.

any help

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's really not shifting well at all. I've got first gear, and second a bit, but nothing after that, and the timing is still a bit advanced. I dunno. I cant trouble-shoot my tranny, I might just take it out and bring it to a shop. haha.

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
Hmm well perhaps you did not install the shift kit correctly. Couple of things, did you fill the torque converter back up with fluid when you installed it? Is the overall fluid level correct right now? It's best to start with the simplest thing first which is correct fluid level. I don't care about the 12 quarts that you put in, you need to check that dipstick to see if its over or under the proper level.

Next, your shift kit install. If you damaged the gaskets, or seperator plate when you were doing the shift kit...or don't have the bolts torqued correctly it is very possible to lose reverse. And since you lost reverse directly after you did the shift kit install, I have a feeling its something related to what you did.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know what I have to trouble shoot. I don't think the separator plate was perfectly smooth which can easily cause cross leaks, and I did troque it down but only with an arbitrary figure. I don't know what it's supposed to be torqued too and I couldn't find any information on it in the shop manuals. I know I drilled the 2 or 3 holes correctly, and installed the valves correct, but I'm gonna take it apart and resmooth that plate. Thanks.
I didn't refill the torque converter, I'm under the impression the tranny fluid makes it way to the torque converter through the transmission...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed it.

I called them and they said that the tv boost bushing clip is often installed not deep enough into the pump and will fall out and be sitting inside the pan. Mine was sitting in the pan. I put it back together and I had to pound the thing in (gently) with a hammer to get it deep enough to put the clip on the CORRECT groove.

Well worth all the headaches and the time I've been waiting to drive my truck again. Nice positive shifts. I can't even notice it's shifting on lite throttle but when you gun it second chirps everytime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts