S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, fixing this problem depends on wheather i still have a home to live in. Long story short, took awhile to get my s10 running, so my buddy helped me out, got it running fine, took it back over to his house to fix the distributor oil leak where it goes to the block, timed everything back up the same way it was as before, now it wont crank and my dad is very angry with me because i didnt do the work here at the house. My question is when I crank it, i am getting no fuel to the injectors, it has gas in it. I used a test light to check pulse coming from the injector wire when I would crank it up, I am getting a light on, when I try to turn it over, it will spray. My buddy thinks the ECM might be shot, any other ideas?

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Wait, I'm confused, first you say no fuel to the injectors, then you say when you turn it over it's spraying??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the test light, i can pretty much make the injectors do what the ecm makes 'em do, Im saying that they will spray if i force them to. If i normally crank it up, no fuel will spray from either injector which makes me believe the ecm isnt sending fuel to the injectors to spray.

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Check all your fuses and relays first, make sure you have the simple stuff out of the question.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im getting power to all my fuses and my main fuel pump relay. Fuel pump is coming on, just no fuel coming out of the injectors when i crank it up.

·
1.9 Proud Liters
225 Posts
Could be an ecm, I had the PROM in my truck go out and it did all sorts of crazy things lol.

Check all the grounds under the hood, just make sure you didn't unplug or knock anything loose when you were working on the distributor. Getting to the ECM is a pain, it's behind the dash kinda under the glove box. You have to take the shroud around the blower motor out of the way and get at it from the passenger footwell

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
need to know lots more info here

what year make model engine and fuel type?

are you sure that you have good fuel to the injectors?

just because the pump runs doesnt mean theres sufficient pressure or any fuel at all

does it fire up with ether sprayed in the throttle?

if so then new FP time most likely

make sure full 12 volts in FP wire to the fuel tank

jump orange and gray wires at FP relay socket

99% chance its not the ECM

i have yet to see a confirmed bad ECM on a GM these years

it just doesnt happen on these

its always something else, bad ICM, FP, wire, cap, rotor, etc

check ground wires at thermostat housing bolt tooo, make sure grounded good, tan wire and black wire, if so equipped(depends on what year and engine style you have, revert back to the more info about your truck needed thing)

these trucks changed alot over the years, fuel and ignition systems were redesigned and in some years more than one existed

the ECM is SIMPLE

only one tiny screw holds it up under the dash passenger side right along the bottom of the dash shelf over there

remove it and the ECM will just fall out of the dash

not even 2 minutes time removing the screw is all you need, to pull the ECM out

my dog could do it for me, even my cat if they had thumbs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worked on it early this morning, was really pressed for time, but I reset the timing on 0 degrees and move the distributor after that failed, I unhooked the battery and changed out the ecm, boom, fired right up. Thanks for the help guys, on the dsm forums, most of the guys probably wouldve down me for not knowing, but the 2.8 is much different than the 4g63t im used to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Iam having the same problem, but I think my ecm is good because Its getting power at the injectors, I hooked up a noid light and went and cranked the motor and both injector harness are pulsing like it should, so Iam lost on this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it fixed, after installing my old eprom chips into my new ecm i purchased, i removed the battery cable then installed my new ecm with the additional add-on box to the ecm, not too sure what it is, but let the truck sit, hooked the battery back up, cranked it up, started like a charm. Reset the timing and now she runs like a chevy should! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts