S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no brake lights and its about inspection time.... i havent had brake lights since my v8 swap.... could someone please tell me what to do to get them to work ....i dont know were the brake switch is at, but i figure if i can locate that i could rewire it to the brake lights in the back.... all help appreciated im not a wiring person at all... i do have the rest of the lights working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm guessing you checked, but i'd say it's probably a fuse, the brake lights should have their own fuse.
If its a fuse that keeps blowing.. then you have a wire somewhere that isn't going to the right place, and shorting out. Or a bad ground.
If one wire is hooked up wrong it will make your whole system go wonky.

Check and make sure all your marker lights are working.
Also turn your signal lights on, I don't know how yours work, but on mine there are two signal lights on each side on the front, they should blink opposite each other. Make sure they are not blinking at the same time. Make sure they aren't blinking too slow, or too fast.
Oh ya also, when I turned my lights off before they would turn right off when they were supposed to go to day time running lights.
If any of these things are happening then you probably have one of your lights hooked up wrong somewhere.. and its shorting out.. Or a bad ground.

I just went through hours of screwing around on my truck to get the lights working properly. Took a while but they work perfectly now.

Its probably a good idea to find the wiring diagram, in the manual too.
The wiring diagram would tell you where to hook up a wire to put in your own new circuit. But I would recommend fixing the old system that is in the truck already.

If your fuse is not blown then.. well there is simply a break somewhere in the circuit.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
what year truck? 94-97, there should have been 2-4 relays on the firewall near the blower motor box. 98+ would be in the fuse panel under the hood.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
if all fuses good the do you have power in yellow or green wires to the rear?

nothing when flashers are set either? turn signals? are same filamant in the bulbs as the brake ones are

ground wires to rear sockets good?

gotta have good ground too.

if you have everything else except for the brake turn flash hazard filamemt then hmmmm gotta be bad turn signal switch, or wiring onncecot in rear.

or possibly ground but not as likaly as the other two things

bad turn signal switch i have seen it cause all to work except for the rear brake ligrs

worn bad contacts finally done for in the switch assembly

especially if third brake light works but not the regular ones

this is how oyu know its the bad switch assembly in the cars like the beretta corsica and etc

see it all the time......... pretyt common failure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.