S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of u who run nitrogen and have a 220cf tanks where did u find them at and how much? i cant find one anywhere the biggest i found was 80 cf and i wanted to go bigger. so if someone can help me out that would be great. also to run nitrogen i need the tank, regulator, line and brackets right? is there something i am missing? thanks
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
quickline23 said:
for those of u who run nitrogen and have a 220cf tanks where did u find them at and how much? i cant find one anywhere the biggest i found was 80 cf and i wanted to go bigger. so if someone can help me out that would be great. also to run nitrogen i need the tank, regulator, line and brackets right? is there something i am missing? thanks
You also need fittings to run air line from the nitro regulator to the air reserve tank. Other than that you're right on the money.

BUT, please god make sure you don't half ass some shit and tie your tank down in some retarded manor. Last thing you want is an accident and have a regilator bust off and have a missle come flying out of your bed and kill someone. Nitro tanks are under enough pressure to go through brick walls, concrete, cars, homes, and fly through the air by themselves up to a couple hundred feet. I've witnessed it. It was amazing but I'm sure the owner of the home the tank came down on didn't think so.

Check your local welding supply store for the size tank you want. They should have it. You'll have a rental fee for the tank and about a $20-$30 fill fee each time you refill it.

Or,

You can go with a set of pretty looking scuba tanks. It'll require a couple extra things but in the end you can tie several tanks together to make CF and you don't have to exchange them.

With scubas, you own the tank and you wont trade one rusty bottle in for another. They look better and cost about $4.00 to fill. Higher initial cost to set up but lower run costs over the long haul with cheaper fill costs.

ONLY problem with scubas is you need to have a scuba license to get them filled. UNLESS, you find a place near you willing to fill them if you sign a waiver stating that the compressed air isn't for breathing purposes like scuba tanks are meant for.

Just a FYI for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Yeah man, I'd go with the scuba tanks, just join a local fire company that has a water rescue unit. Those nerds love helpin people out. Buy some used and hydrotested tanks, repaint them, and then just fill em up at the fire station. You can't beat free air.
 

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there arent to many fire depts around my area that have a water rescue unit so i think that is out of the question. and the scuba tanks are a good idea but again not to many scuba shops around here seeing is i live in bumblefu*k. i found a 80cf tanks for 150bucks dont kno if thats a good deal or not or how long it would last. the welding supply sounds like the way im gonna have to go. and dont worry i wont half ass anything it will be done right if it is done.
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
s10nospeed said:
Yeah man, I'd go with the scuba tanks, just join a local fire company that has a water rescue unit. Those nerds love helpin people out. Buy some used and hydrotested tanks, repaint them, and then just fill em up at the fire station. You can't beat free air.
Might want to repaint them 1st, then get the visual and hydro test. Once the test is done, they slap a cert sticker on the tank. Then that equals no paintie paintie.

I bought 2 pretty brushed aluminum 80cf tanks for $115 each. Then I got a chrome hydro d-block, braided steel lines, chrome nitro regulator and just recently designed and had waterjet cut some custom tank brackets to craddle these in the bed.

All in all, its a bit more pricy at first but it'll look a 1000 times better than some nasty rusty looking tank. Plus, over time the fill costs will pay for them selves. Plus, with the proper fittings, you can add more tanks by daisy chaining the lines to add more CF air.
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
quickline23 said:
there arent to many fire depts around my area that have a water rescue unit so i think that is out of the question. and the scuba tanks are a good idea but again not to many scuba shops around here seeing is i live in bumblefu*k. i found a 80cf tanks for 150bucks dont kno if thats a good deal or not or how long it would last. the welding supply sounds like the way im gonna have to go. and dont worry i wont half ass anything it will be done right if it is done.
Give it a try and look for shops. Believe it or not but there was like 20 shops in St. Louis (middle of the country fatherest from the ocean).
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
quickline23 said:
there arent to many fire depts around my area that have a water rescue unit so i think that is out of the question. and the scuba tanks are a good idea but again not to many scuba shops around here seeing is i live in bumblefu*k. i found a 80cf tanks for 150bucks dont kno if thats a good deal or not or how long it would last. the welding supply sounds like the way im gonna have to go. and dont worry i wont half ass anything it will be done right if it is done.
You're in PA right. I'll be you have shops there cause I'm sure people scuba dive in the great lakes. Surely the great laes are better for diving than the muddy ass Miss. River.
 

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there arent any great lakes anywhere around me i am on the other side of the state. And where i live u have to live in the twsp of where u want to join the fire dept. and in my twsp there isnt ne lakes or rivers so i am sol right now. i kno a bunch of welding shops around and can get the nitrogen filled i just wanted a tanks bigger than 80cf cuz i am afriad its gonna run out quick and ill have to keep getting it filled all the time?
 

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another quick ? if i would get 2 80cf tanks can i put them together like u said u can do with the scuba tanks?
 

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to far to drive lol but if u would wanna ship it at all let me know i might buy it off u?
 

·
mini' less.... :(
Joined
·
436 Posts
i lease my 220 bottle for like $52 a year, i have a cover so ya cant see it in the bed, so it works out alright, usually cost about 15-18 to fill, i dont use it as my only air source though, only when i wanna play around or hop it. i have an AZ for my air. i dunno if you guys have a Kirk Welding around where you are at, but thats where i lease my bottle through, you can always have a cover or something made for the tank to if your worried about people seeing it.
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
quickline23 said:
another quick ? if i would get 2 80cf tanks can i put them together like u said u can do with the scuba tanks?
Don't quote me but I believe when doing that, you'll need 2 nitro regulators. Or you can tie the two bottles together with a Y fitting into the input of the regulator, but you might need to find a regulator with higher operating input pressures.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,652 Posts
NickZigaitis said:
Don't quote me but I believe when doing that, you'll need 2 nitro regulators. Or you can tie the two bottles together with a Y fitting into the input of the regulator, but you might need to find a regulator with higher operating input pressures.
You only need to use a regulator capable of the operating pressure of one tank. Two tanks = same pressure, not more pressure.
 

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
Joined
·
5,297 Posts
Southern said:
You only need to use a regulator capable of the operating pressure of one tank. Two tanks = same pressure, not more pressure.
Yeah, you're right. I thought about thta after I posted last. I think you might be able to couple two tanks together into a Y fitting to go into the regulator input.
 

·
how low can you go
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lowfrankie22 said:
i dunno where you live in pa but eastern welding supply in hazleton, pa has everything you want
do they sell the tanks outright or do u have to lease them? cuz i live like an hour from hazelton and would drive up and get one but i dont want to have to keep driving up everytime to get it refilled
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top