S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 700r4 has gone bad. I am in the thinking stage of pulling the engine/trans and doing a V8 conversion while I'm at it. The truck has almost 200k miles, yet paint and interior are very nice. My thinking (and searching) leads me to as many questions as answers. We all know the problem of CPI. The limitations of V6 efi upgrades..... Anyway, can anyone here give me the been there done that advice? I don't want a hot rod, but definitely wouldn't mind 300hp. More is better IF it is reliable enough to drive on trips, etc. I don't want to jerk the truck around but would love for it to be fun to drive.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,693 Posts
My 700r4 has gone bad. I am in the thinking stage of pulling the engine/trans and doing a V8 conversion while I'm at it. The truck has almost 200k miles, yet paint and interior are very nice. My thinking (and searching) leads me to as many questions as answers. We all know the problem of CPI. The limitations of V6 efi upgrades..... Anyway, can anyone here give me the been there done that advice? I don't want a hot rod, but definitely wouldn't mind 300hp. More is better IF it is reliable enough to drive on trips, etc. I don't want to jerk the truck around but would love for it to be fun to drive.
Sounds like this is right up @oldeerslayer alley..

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
So you are saying yours has CPI? Also if it's a 93 it should have the first year 4L60E, not a 700R4. Is it 2 or 4wd?
There are numerous options to do what you want, but need more info first. Budget would also be helpful. Have you ever replaced an engine and do you have the tools and space needed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply! It is definitely a 1993. It has the CPI as I have changed the spider twice, and the fuel pump once due to pressure not being 54psi causing it not to start when cold unless I used starting fluid and then it would start well until it sat overnight.
The 4.3 uses very little to oil between 4k oil changes. You may be correct about the 460 transmission as it does not have a control cable going to the transmission.
It shifts well until it goes into 3rd, and then it seems to want to go back to second. I was quoted 1800 to 2400 depending on what was found bad. I trust this shop, but I drove it home.
It is a Blazer. And a very well kept one. I've had it about 5 years and the original owner took exceptional care of it. I live in upstate SC and this truck would pass for a 75-100k truck. At 61 years old, I detest newer vehicle that I can't work on.
Budget? What can I buy that would be the same type SUV and give me years of more service for under 10K that is as nice as this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more answer...yes I do have the tools and space. I've built several engines over the years including 4 Jaguar V12s. I've done a V8 MGB and put a 302 Chevrolet with a Muncie 4 speed, Corvette differential in a Triumph TR6. As the old saying goes...."I ain't skeered" lol.
I like EFI. I understand it. I have in my mind building a old school SBC with MPFI and crank fired coil on plug. I would use a roller camshaft with roller rockers. I want to keep my AC, cruise. The LS conversion seems to need some serious mods to make it work although it looks like the best option? Buying a complete car from the salvage auction and merging the two is something I'm open to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts