S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"ve finally decided to stop paying out the ying-yang at me dealer and take some of my repairs over myself. i've ordered the chilton's book for my 4X4 S-10 Blazer '99. I've thought that a good beginning project would be to upgrade my rotors and brake pads which are getting down to the 5,000 mile limit. Not bad for 50,000 miles on the original set.

My Biggest question is where? I'm looking for some good place to buy rotors....preferably slotted and a meduim to high end set of brakepads. I've never been happy with the braking distance of my truck and this might be my chance to improve it.

thanks.....
a99blazer.....
 

·
Store bought ain't custom
Joined
·
516 Posts
Jegs has got Power Stop rotors. I have heard that those are pretty good. http://www.coximport.com/ has got brembo rotors. I want to get those when I have some cash lying around.
 

·
Store bought ain't custom
Joined
·
516 Posts
ooh, brembo part numbers cross drilled is 37009, and slotted is 47009
 

·
MiniStyle Magazine
Joined
·
207 Posts
a99blazer said:
I"ve finally decided to stop paying out the ying-yang at me dealer and take some of my repairs over myself. i've ordered the chilton's book for my 4X4 S-10 Blazer '99. I've thought that a good beginning project would be to upgrade my rotors and brake pads which are getting down to the 5,000 mile limit. Not bad for 50,000 miles on the original set.

My Biggest question is where? I'm looking for some good place to buy rotors....preferably slotted and a meduim to high end set of brakepads. I've never been happy with the braking distance of my truck and this might be my chance to improve it.

thanks.....
a99blazer.....

Can't help you with the rotor part, haven't upgraded mine so no personal experience there. As far as pads, I would suggest Bendix pads. They are semi-metallic pads, alot better stopping power than oem pads, and best of all hardly ANY if any at all brake dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts
I changed mine to Raybestos Ceramic pads. A lot better stopping power and little dusting. Pretty inexpensive as well. As for rotors, go with a set of Power Slot rotors. I've heard a lot good things about them from friends. Plus they don't crack after awhile like most cross drilled rotors.
 

·
Accent, what accent
Joined
·
772 Posts
I recently put Power Slot rotors on my 91 4x4 w/great results. they need to be broken in a little more but so far so good. as for pads good ceramic work well for me. have heard that Hawk pads work well w/Power Slots. have a look here . or go to Tire Rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately with a 99 there are not a lot of options since I believe the ABS limits the number of rotors out there. I looked a powerslot and it look like a no go. Damn stock rotors....
 

·
Accent, what accent
Joined
·
772 Posts
I show part #'s 8638 for '98-'02 Blazer and 8617 for '98-'02 P/U & Blazer 2wd. then again you can always call them.
 

·
I have a Civic now
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
Re: Re: Newbie..Rotors and Pads

Slammed99s10 said:
Can't help you with the rotor part, haven't upgraded mine so no personal experience there. As far as pads, I would suggest Bendix pads. They are semi-metallic pads, alot better stopping power than oem pads, and best of all hardly ANY if any at all brake dust.
Did those pads you used come in a blue box?? I just put some on my truck, they had this weird coating on the pad surface, supposed to help them align better or something, i dunno, they seem pretty good to me.
 

·
MiniStyle Magazine
Joined
·
207 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Newbie..Rotors and Pads

Nates98s-10 said:
Did those pads you used come in a blue box?? I just put some on my truck, they had this weird coating on the pad surface, supposed to help them align better or something, i dunno, they seem pretty good to me.
They actually still come in a blue box. As far as the weird coating, I've never seen that before. Maybe bendix or whoever you got them from put that coating on there to keep the pad surface clean while shipping? I dunno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
My question is how do you get the rotors off? I have a 99 S10 4X4, and two different people have told me that once you remove the caliper bolts and get the caliper/pads out of the way, the rotor will just "pop" off...

Well mine sure don't. There's something they're getting hung up on, I can rock them back and forth, but can't pull them. I checked to make sure there the parking brake had a little slack in the cable...still no go.

What's the secret???

Lobstah
 

·
MiniStyle Magazine
Joined
·
207 Posts
Lobstah said:
My question is how do you get the rotors off? I have a 99 S10 4X4, and two different people have told me that once you remove the caliper bolts and get the caliper/pads out of the way, the rotor will just "pop" off...

Well mine sure don't. There's something they're getting hung up on, I can rock them back and forth, but can't pull them. I checked to make sure there the parking brake had a little slack in the cable...still no go.

What's the secret???

Lobstah
Got a pic of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts
It might still have one of the factory retaining washer on the studs. But if you have a pic, that would help to.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top