S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2k sonoma with the zq8, 4.3, etc.... as my new daily driver (my other car isnt cutting it)

I figure if i put some weight in the back during those few inch snow storms i should be fine?

Am i kidding myself here? is it going to suck big time?

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
We just had a huge snowstorm here in New England and my first storm out with Xtreme was fine, to my surprise. I did put (4) 50lb. sand bags in the back and I also have my fiberglass tonneau also. I didn't fishtail once. You just have to take it easy and know your limits. Good luck..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Downsize from stock wide 55 series tires for starters. I bought a set of used 15" S-10 Aluminum rims off Ebay and mounted 4 new 205/70/15 snowtires on them.

Snowtires+sand tubes+Posi= Almost a 4x4 :D

Steve

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
I'm driving mine with bald 255's right now, and it's a blast....the best thing you can do is to find a big open parkinglot after the first snow and try to make it slide around and do donuts, that way you know how it's going to perform in the snow...

·
Registered
624 Posts
my x stays far away from the snow and all the salt that they desiced to dump on the roads, if you are looking at a newer truck i would buy a cheap winter beater, and save your self the hassle from driving in snow. With my tires getting bald i prayed that i got home safe in just rain. i wouldn't dare driving in snow with my x i don't care what tires u have, u allways have to watch out for everyone else that is out there.

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
Come on John, everything is better in snow that that Vette, especially since you supercharged it.. It ran 10's where at???

You know who this is....

·
Registered
57 Posts
throw the weight in the ass end...my x has trouble in wet grass... even wet pavement....ever since i reprogrammed the computer its been alot more grabby and i just recently put sand bags in the back ..... i have a bed cover so its not tacky looking

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
They sell them everywhere around here. It' just a sandbag that's about 3ft long and only about 8" wide and it's shaped like a tube. They usually have pallets of them for sale at gas stations in the winter. Mine all weight 68lbs each.

Steve

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Here's my winter wheels with snowtires

Steve

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool,

Sounds like i need some sand and a set of snow tires and i should be set!

Thanks - you guy's gave me the answer i needed.

Going to look at the truck tomorrow - assuming all is as advertised, i dont see why i would not buy it.

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
Yes.. Come over to the Dark side John.. Where not bagging yours are we????? LOL

99XTreme
George W.

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah- No Baggin here (Yet anyway)...

Maybe after i pay off the supercharger on the vette and get it tubbed so i actually get traction, i may look at toying with the truck.

I tried to get tommy to sell me my sierra back but he wont budge... Should have NEVER gotton rid of it to begin with.

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
I bought my 98 ZQ8 new and it hasn't seen snow/salt yet.It is in it's 6th hibernation right now and won't see the road again till the spring rains wash all the road salt away.Really,the best route is to get a winter beater(mine is my 86 Blazer).If that's not in your budget,you at least need to get those wide tires/rims off.I don't care what tire you're using,with a 8" rim,you're just a giant ski.Get a set of Ls wheels and some good tires.Add some extra weight to the bed,and you should get by.

·
10 Sec. Club
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am getting this truck to be my winter / daily beater....

I'd hate to get 4wd and only use it a handful of times and have to suffer the mpg (i drive about 2-2500 mile a month)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.