S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up guys(and gals if there's any), I'm new to the board and just got my S-10. I need some advice on my truck. I got a LS 4cyl. Only mod I've made to it so far is a tonneau cover (got a great used one for $300). I just bought my head unit (JVC KD-LH3100 MP3 Player). I want to remove the triming around the edges but I want to know if any body else has done it and if it requires repainting (I'm pretty sure it does). Next steps are probably the drop and the roll pan. I'm gonna have to paint the roll pan n e wayz so I'm just wondering if I'm gonna have to paint the edges too. Any input is appreciated. LATER!!!

Check out my truck here: http://members.cardomain.com/dubr562

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it is very easy to do and it does not need paint.
all you have to do is get a hair dryer and go over it
with hot air. this will melt the adhesive, if it doesn't come
off, just use fishing twine, and that's it, then just clean
the excess adhesive.

WElcome!
late

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it take a long time?? I might go try it right now...

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
It takes a little bit of time to get all of the sticky adhesive off. If you have a heat gun it will go faster and smoother than a blow drier. A heat gun gets hotter then a blow drier. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours to get all of the molding off and the sticky stuff. Also use goof off, goo gone, or similiar to get the adhesive off, then just wash the area good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a heat gun at HOme Depot for 30 bucks. It heats from 750 deg. to 1,000 deg. Will that do it?? Are you sure it won't melt the paint?? I'll prolly buy it, use it and return since I really don't need it. Thanx for your help dude!!

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
Yeah man that heat gun will work just fine. Just keep it on it's lowest setting and don't keep it in one place too long. If you do then you will bubble the paint. Just do a little section at a time and once you get and end started, you can pull on it as you heat in front on you. Keep going until you get it all off. Also with using the heat gun you will leave less residue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts