S-10 Forum banner

Newbie here…

662 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bk2life 
#1 ·
Newbie here, just discovered forum. Have 1991 S10 bought brand new off showroom floor. Original engine with 275,000, a little incontinent (leaks oil) but otherwise runs great. Window crank on driver’s side door broken, I tried to repair it but couldn’t. Is a new door my only hope?

#4 ·
Thanks for replying Walleye, The window came off the “track” When I try to turn the crank it jams up. I can grasp the window glass ( when it’s down with pliers) and then pull it up and use a wedge to keep it up. When I remove the wedge I have to be careful not let it slam down.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forum. If you get a chance, can you post some photos of your truck? A lot of members here, myself included, are visually oriented.

As far as the window crank, no you're not 'stuck' with a door replacement. If it's the window mechanism (regulator), it is a replaceable item. The part is (unsurprisingly) discontinued from GM, but here's a link for the regulator: 1986-1994 GM Window Regulator 15591453 | GM Parts Online. It shows that it was used on the S series trucks from '86-'94. I didn't find any aftermarket replacements, so your best bet is likely a salvage yard, maybe eBay, or a private party (on Craigslist or similar sites) parting out a truck.

If it's the handle, here's a link for it: 1985-2005 GM Window Handle 15588093 | GM Parts Online, and it is still showing as available, with a very broad application of vehicles, should you decide to seek a used one.

And for either one, there's probably a youTube video on the replacement procedure.

Reactions: ScottyV1966
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.