S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
until tonight ihave been a horsepower street guy, i love tearin up ashpalt until i went 4 wheelin tonight. im hooked. i want to buy an old beat up 4wd s10, lift it, big wheels and beat teh everlivin piss out of it. how much am i look realistically for bout a 4" suspension lift and bout a 2"body lift. i really want to have my fun. any tips on these things would be great, im tryin to keep it simple i jsut wanna go thrash not make a big project out of it.
thanks

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Lifting the S10 4x4 is not cheap(as these guys will tell ya). If your buying a rig to beat off road, swap in a straight axle or find a old Toyota. The IFS front end is the limiting factor as far as off road performance goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
like slo96 said, if you want big tires and want to beat the piss outta it, put a dana 44 up front and a 9 inch out back from an old scout.. or a set of 10 bolts, 12 bolts, dana 44s, 14 bolt, or even a 60 if you really want over kill...

staying with IFS:
-very limiting factor, from the lack of front end articulation
-as long as you stay under 33s you will have minimal problems strength-wise.

goin to 33s, with IFS:
-if you want 33s.. 3" body lift and turn the bars up..
-wheelin hard will increase the amount of breakage, having some 33s that bite--- some good MTS or TSLs...rearend breakage and front chunk brakage is most frequent to break.

goin to 35's., with IFS:
-This is a 80% street, 20% trail combo!!!!
-5" trailmaster and 3" body lift.
-id recommend regearing it also, the 4.3 strains its tail off with 3.42s which most 4.3s came with. You can go to 4.11s. makes a huge difference.
-with the trailmaster lift on-- you will encounted halfshaft breakage problems if you drive hard off road..wider wheels required to run 33s will wear out your steering components very quickly. go on and get all new front end stuff if you plan to do this lift combonation. since you talk about beating the piss outta it, you will be replacing stuff very often so have a large quantity of tie rods, idler arms, halfshafts, and eventually transmissions..

goin to 36s with IFS:
-not smart to do if you dont like the sound of metal grinding and crunching!!!!!!
-Need a 5" Trailmaster, 3" body lift and superlift uppser A-Arms to turn the bars up max.. (due to alignment issues) these arms are longer than stock and are a LOT stronger, the upper factory arms are weak as piss. ive bent several of them with the trailmaster lift on my truck.

you WILL be ripping the inner joint of the halfshafts out very frequently having this much lift unless you make custom brackets to lower the front chunk because of the angle on the halfshafts.

with SFA the choices are endless.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so im better off with an old yota?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now im lookin economy wise, i only plan on like 32's at most. which is cheaper to do, ifs or solid axle, i just want to be out as soon as possible

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah i dont wont a project jsut a shit box that i can get a steel bed, adn go wheelin
wooh

·
Registered
141 Posts
ya if you are looking for truck to beat the shit out of...first you have to ask what size tire...if its only 32's...thats a good thing. cuz alot of people immeidately want 38's and dont want to pay for the build up...

the thing is..you want to lock the front and rear..you will need solid axels...i take you are mudding...so power is a good thing..

so a 80's cj or yj will have solid axels and you can put lockers in them as long as you stay with 32's...going bigger and those axels wont hold up too well...you can also get the 4.2 six cylnder...

the cherokee is another great option...cut up the fenders and put 32's on...i know a guy who picked one up for 500 bucks...

also, k-5 is a solid axel with a v-8...thats a great option too...

yota's only have 4cyl and the 6 sucks...

i am rockcrawling so 4cyl is fine for me...

there are other choices but those are the most popular..

also, look around and dont pay over 1500 for just a trail beater...

i just picked this up for 500...it runs great buts its missing the front spring hanger...thats it..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dunno i am what ill be drivin in, snow, mud, rain, ice, fields anything, ill jump the friggin thing for all i care. hell i was jumpin an 90 jeep last night in a school parkin lot. i just want to havethe power of a 6 and i dont need teh flex so teh s10 sounds good. cause i intend on shreddin these trails. whatever i break i fix. the whole purpose of this is to school my buddys jeep which has a 4. and have a blast ridin with friends. i live in teh northeast so i get all of the shit weather and ridin areas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts