S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new to the forums, but in need of some serious help. I have a 95 s10 pickup, vin W, with a 4.3 vortec motor and automatic transmission. The original motor siezed up so i got another from the junk yard and had a mechanic at a shop swap the motor and he took my top half off and swapped it to the new lower half which took him forever. It was supposed to be smogged and ready for me to just put my current tags on it and go, but scan tool will not link up with the computer. I was not happy with all the run around he gave me so i decided to take the truck home and deal with it myself. Truck starts and runs and drives but has absolutely no power and takes forever to even remotely start moving when you press the accelerator pedal. Obd2 has 12 volts and ground and powers up my mac handheld scanner but will jot link up to the computer. I checked for voltage at the computer on the 4 pin plug on the bottom section of the computer that has a brown, purple, heavy guage red wire, and an orange wire in it. No constant 12 volts from the thick red, nor the orange wire. Stumped, cause to my understanding the truck should not be running if im not getting voltage to the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long explanation, but wanted to give you guys as much info as possible so that your time wasnt wasted with back and forth questioning. Thanks in advance.

·
Been there Done it
7,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Welcome to the weird and wacky world of 1995 GM vehicles.
First things first. Exactly what year make and model was that 4.3 out of?
Was it also a 95 or earlier vin W?
If not your "mecha nic" should not have even tried installing it. Oh, I'm sure there are ways to "make it work" if isn't a 95 vin W. I wouldn't want it. the fact that it took a long time to swap intakes scares me. It's a couple hour job at most.
As far a your scanner goes, look at the tag on the rad support. Does it say OBD2. A few 95 do. Most don't. You are going to need a high end scanner with a 95 GM adapter to read any codes. Think Tech 2 or high end Snap On.
What you have is what is often referred to a OBD 1.5. Basically GM emptying their parts bins. Most have an OBD 2 style diagnostic port, but it's not wired for OBD 2 since most were OBD compliant. (Often times called OBD 1).
Most of us on this forum avoid 95 S10's like they have the plague. They do, sort of. Hard to diagnose and end of the line for all the engines and 1 year only transmissions.
You best bet at this point is to find a complete 1995 S10 vin W Vortec 4.3 complete drop out and swap them. Then you will at least know what you have going forward. Or crush it. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crushing it is not an option. It has high sentimental value, and my truck is full obd2 as per calling gm and giving them my vin number. As for the tanny, its a 4l60e, and my timing chain cover is the 6 bolt one not the 10 bolt one. I originaly wasnt getting power to the computer it seemed like, but after going through the wiring harness a little bit more thoroughly I see that I'm getting power and ignition to the computer there's a couple of grounds they're there that aren't registering ground as they should and I can't visibly see any grounds to the back of the of the left side head as wiring diagrams show. there were a few other things that I found it he just neglected to be thorough about one of my motor mount bolts were loose things like that I've already reported them to the bar association out here but I'm not new to playing with motors nor electrical when it comes to a vehicle as I've been in the 12-volt industry pretty much most of my life it was just boggling me that the truck was actually running yet not communicating with anything. Which to be quite honest, still has me a little confused. I didnt think the truck could run with what appears to be no communication as it should be. As for my scanner it is a good one off a tool truck. As ive said, ive been in the 12volt industry a very long time. I appreciate your help very much though. Thank you for you input.

·
Administrator
22,391 Posts
If you can't find the wires on the back of the passenger head, chances are they're attached someplace else, or just dangling, which would cause other issues.

·
Been there Done it
7,593 Posts
I agree S10's are touchy about grounds and there are a bunch. Since you have the wiring diagram for your truck I'd suggest you track them all down and make sure they are good connections. Probably the most common computer issue on these vehicles. Particularly the one on the pass head.
Nice to see a new member's post using caps and punctuation. The younger members seem to think posting paragraph long text messages is cool. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts