S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently become an owner of two 86' 4X4-S10 Blazers. My question is - (SOME BACKROUND: I have one in running condition with me in Canada and the other (not running, I'm told needs head work) in the Chicago area)).

Would I be able to tow the one in Chicago to Canada ( 900 miles) with my 2.8 ?

Thanks

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
that might be a bit much for a 2.8. my 91 4.3 is rated to 5klbs to tow w/tow pkg from factory and 3.42 rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I thought that would be pushing it, just had to ask. I have a 91 AWD Safari w/4.3, but I know it's too tired and close to rebuild time to haul a Blazer (163,000 mi).
Now I have to figure out what to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ive got a 91 with 2.8, i towed my brothers 70's camaro on a tow dolly with no problem. it was stock at the time. only had small prob at take off, but then nothing but smooth sailing.:thumbup:

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
Ok, I swear I have a factory Hot Rod 2.8. I pulled my dads 1972 Chevy C-10, with a full tank of gas, him in it, and about 800lbs of sh!t in the bed:evilg: Didn't have to pull it far, but none the less, I still pulled it:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I get the picture, it seems the general conception is if it’s around town go for it, but since it’s 900 + miles away figure something else out. It’s a manual by the way.

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
Hey, I'd go for it. My grandpa used the truck I have now to tow a 70 nova SS396 on a heavy tandem axle trailer. From here to way up in the mountains in North Carolina. A good 8 hr drive atleast. Hehe got that and a few other good stories last night:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just take it real slow...avoid traffic, plan ahead, and watch your gauges. I towed a 4,000 lbs Industrial surface grinder on a crappy trailer once (2.8, 700R4, 3.73 gears) with no problems. You also might want to check your fluids first, and I wouldn't reccomend it if you think there is anything mechanical failing on the truck. Heck, I would do it with mine if I was in the situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
since its a manual id go for it.. but i would take a friend along for sure and a box of tools.. i would also use a tow dolly and drop the drive shaft out of the blazer your towing ( if its auto) the reason for the dolly is it alot lighter than a trailor. take your time and alow for alot of stoping time. good luck!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts