S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this idea, consists of easy parts to find, and a cavalier intake manifold. Looks like it should work to me, you would just have to use some heat shielding for the hood and valvecover, or get a cowl hood.

Tell me what you think.

·
blahh
1,392 Posts
hell yes man looks awesome how about all the piping is it going to be hard to route it all?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really, the exhaust can either go in between the frame and oil pan, or you can cut a hole in the frame, slip a steel tube in it and weld it in, then the exhaust can go through that. the rest of the piping can fit easy if you already have an e-fan mod, and you trim the fan shroud.

·
Registered
222 Posts
it looks like a good idea but it will have alot of turbo lag of and it looks good on paper but how are you going to run all the pulleys aroung the turbo?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think ya'll get the idea, the way my truck is setup now, with an e-fan, and half the shroud gone, there is like 1 foot or more of room bettween the motor and the radiator. that is plenty of room for the turbo to sit there. in this oic you can kinda see how much room i have to play with.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't see it having anymore lag then any other turbo setup anyone has done on a s10. All the other turbo setups i have seen the turbo is mounted on the passenger side, so the exhaust down tube feed the turbo from the driverside. Thats more tubing the what i assume this setup will have.

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
goodwrench79 said:
it looks like a good idea but it will have alot of turbo lag of and it looks good on paper but how are you going to run all the pulleys aroung the turbo?
Lag is based on the spool up of the turbo vs. the exhaust flow. The incorrect turbo and size will cause lag to be more evident than a smidge of piping.

Typically the smaller the turbo the quicker is spools, i.e. less lag. You couldn't put a large turbo on a 2.2 cause you'll freak'n lag till 3-4000 rpm before you feel the effect of the turbo.

___
to the poster.

I don't see any lag issues here. Just make sure you get the correct size turbo. But you've been pondering turbos for a while so I'm sure you know which one you'll go for.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea what nick said, i will be running a t3/t4 .56 housing turbo. So it will be small so little to no lag.

·
.:CARPE DIEM:.
156 Posts
SELLING a Garrett GT25!!!m I have some pic of that type of set-up that u want to do, i can figure aout how to putthem here so you can see them !!!

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
bladehines said:
Ok this idea, consists of easy parts to find, and a cavalier intake manifold. Looks like it should work to me, you would just have to use some heat shielding for the hood and valvecover, or get a cowl hood.

Tell me what you think.

Congradulations!You have just recreated the TurboS-10 kit!:D Thats exactly how it was done except the exhaust ran down by the A-arm instead of up and over(this might cause a paint problem with your hood).Should be pics of it floating around on the forum still.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kinda same basic idea, but the exhaust piping runs over the valve cover, not by the oil pan from the motor to the turbo. exhaust from the turbo would be the same, but not the exhaust intake side.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i don't think it would be much of a problem with the paint on the hood. Maybe some heat wrap, and heat shield. or a cowl hood, would take care of it.

i am just thinking in different ways, i am not sure my manifold i had made will hold up for a long time, and it might not work at all. So i am just thinking of other good ideas. but i may just try and run it like the turbos10 version. Except i may change the exhaust so it routes through the frame, using some holes, and pipe welded in where the holes are, then i can run the exhaust through the pipe/holes, does this sound like a good idea?

·
lazy and broke
597 Posts
if your going to run the exhaust up and over the engine id definatly use heat wrap!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I want to warn you that what I am about to say is not very popular but needs to be said. I have my turbo mounted were the muffler was stock. I got full boost at about 4 grand and loved it. I didn't have an intercooler. I put a special fabricated air filter all the way out in the fender well of the bed and the engine monitering scan tool I use said my air intake temp was around 60 degrees. I used abs pipe for the charge pipe. It was very cheap and produced enough power to throw a connecting rod through my block.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My truck is in my school shop for its engine swap but I could take some tomarow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts