S-10 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

Old Fart
I'm happy it's you and not me, back in the 70s I worked in the engine shop of a construction company and most of our time was spent rebuilding Detroit 12V71s from Terex S24 scrapers. Anyone with Detroit diesel experience knows how they leaked oil and even though you would think a machine that large would have plenty of room to work on-NOT! I hated pulling those engines and all the time spent steam cleaning both the engine and the engine compartment so you could rebuild and reassemble them. We ended up putting Jake Brakes on them because they decided they were over-revving on downhill grades causing the engines to blow. Looking at that skid steer, it's a smaller version of that mess bringing back ugly memories. 馃槺

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #82
The place that this skid is located is an organic Lavender farm. They also grow vegetables and herbs/spices, in addition to 3,000 acres of rice.

I really couldn't steam clean this POS. The oil and grease would go everywhere.
So...
I ended up cleaning it by hand. Scraping and de-greasing. Probably close to 3 hours.
The engine is next.

Too bad they don't make Detroits anymore. Those engines were screamers!

Old Fart
The place that this skid is located is an organic Lavender farm. They also grow vegetables and herbs/spices, in addition to 3,000 acres of rice.

I really couldn't steam clean this POS. The oil and grease would go everywhere.
So...
I ended up cleaning it by hand. Scraping and de-greasing. Probably close to 3 hours.
The engine is next.

Too bad they don't make Detroits anymore. Those engines were screamers!
Screamers that didn't make as much torque as a 4 stroke or meet emissions but they did eat more fuel! 馃ぃ

They still make Detroit diesels just no 2 strokes.

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #84
I finally installed the stainless tube header on the buggy.
It has a large muffler which locates on the passenger side of the engine. It now has a considerably deeper tone than the cheesy glass-pack system that this replaced.
The cam is much more pronounced through the exhaust. I synchronized and set the carbs again, I set them close before. I finally got the idle to where it should be and it responds super quick to the throttle.
I can't imagine what this buggy would be like with another 50 to 75 HPs. It already does 100 easily... and you can imagine that it's a pretty good handful at that speed. Twitchy.
Anyway, still in Cali.
I'll post pix of the stainless stuff when I find a cable for my phone.

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #87
^^^ I guess I posted the same pic few too many times...
Sad to say - this forum has gone downhill since the big "Upgrade" (??)

Well, once again I'm on the move. I've been in Biggs, California for a while and now am hooking this dune unit to my Mazda B2200 and headed East.
Stopping in Phoenix to visit some friends, then Alexandria, Louisiana, then Baton Rouge.
Not going to be a pleasant ride since my Mazdog doesn't have A/C and is pretty much a slug.

After Baton Rouge, probably headed to Floridation for a few, then to DC to check in with more friends and work headquarters.
My farm is like a distant dream. Been so long since I was there.
I hope I make it.
4K miles in a slug, pulling a potato chip - sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Especially across that New Mexico desert.
I can't wait.

Old Fart

Well, once again I'm on the move. I've been in Biggs, California for a while and now am hooking this dune unit to my Mazda B2200 and headed East.
Stopping in Phoenix to visit some friends, then Alexandria, Louisiana, then Baton Rouge.
Not going to be a pleasant ride since my Mazdog doesn't have A/C and is pretty much a slug.

After Baton Rouge, probably headed to Floridation for a few, then to DC to check in with more friends and work headquarters.
I hope I make it.
4K miles in a slug, pulling a potato chip - sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Especially across that New Mexico desert.
I can't wait.
I would worry more about Arizona than NM, I lived in Albuquerque for a while and not as hot or desolate as AZ. I also trucked across both before the interstate was finished and used US66. :cool:
What is going to become of the buggy?
Good luck on your trip!

B4U Task Force Admin

I hope I make it.
I can't wait.
Fixed the stutter... 馃ぃ 馃ぃ

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #90
^^ Thanks guys.
You two seem to be the only ones left on the forum - kidding.

I have a 356 Porsche engine at my shop. It has a 1750 cc kit in it, a cam and double Weber 40s.It has about 3,000 miles on it since it was gone through. Been sitting for 30+ years
I'll put that in for a laugh and freshen the current 1853 cc engine in the buggy.
New forged pistons/jugs, counter weighted crank, forged rods, balance, different cam and a bigger set of performance heads.
Then I'll blow up the tranny...

I have so many other projects and haven't driven an S10 in 2 years...
My '82 long bed S10 has a TON of new parts waiting to go together.
I also have my '90 that I built a crazy Duke for - with a Turbo T bird T5 tranny.
I also have a Vega 2.3 that is built. Has 50K original miles on it with a T5 too. Mallory, 4 barrel, header, cam Blah blah
I could bore you a lot more...

Old Fart
You are a lot of things but never boring. 馃ぃ

Reactions: Joe Cool

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #92
Well, I left Cali last Wednesday and drove 16 hours straight to Tucson, AZ. Staying with some friends that I worked with in the past. Don't know if any of you have been to the Sonoran desert... crazy cactus and scenery. All of those pictures of deserts? Yep. Arizona baby.
Driving 14 hours in this heat SUX!
Hotter than hell.
No A/C in my Mazdawg.
Towing the buggy.
Very surprised - the Mazda actually towed the buggy with little effort and still got 20 MPG at 60 to 65 MPH.
It's still a slug though... that won't change until I install the Ford 5.0 / 5 speed I have sitting on my shop floor at home.

Back to the buggy...
It is easy to tow.
Yank engine and Porsche install... Wish I had a 911 6 cylinder.
Can't wait to arrive home. Some day.

time to get cereal
We really need more pictures of all these adventures you go on.

Reactions: goes2fast

Old Fart
X3!!!

B4U Task Force Admin
What's that saying again??.....oh yeah...pics or ban.馃お馃お

Reactions: goes2fast

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #97
It is such a PIA to post pix. I'll give it a shot though...

Old Fart
It is such a PIA to post pix. I'll give it a shot though...
I don't know why you say that as it's easier than it ever was now, 3 clicks and it is there. :oops:

Boozebag
Discussion Starter #99
Wellll.....
Transferring pix from my POS phone to my POS computer and then reducing them to a size that fits in a post...
Sure, it's ez.
I used to load them directly to that photobucket site. That was really easy.
Click on the link and tag it to a post. Easy.
Then they gave everyone the steel breeze

Now? Not so easy.
Anyway, I will post pix.

Old Fart
You can post directly from your phone I think. I don't use my phone for pictures because my camera is easier to use for me and quality is better than even the best phone camera.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts