S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Boozebag
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this a few weeks ago. Tried posting pix, but big FAIL. I hope it works this time.

Built in 1969:
'61 shortened link pin pan
Freeway flier trans,
Front disc brake conversion
KYB gas adjust shocks
Adjustable rear trailing arms
EMPI shifter
Solid transmission mounts
Fat sway bar

Engine:
1835 cc AE dual bypass case
Big Cam,
Dual 40 Kadrons
Light flywheel
Buggy full header exhaust
Electronic Bosch 09 mechanical distributor
Big valve (40 / 35 mm) heads

Sort of quick...

I've installed a real oil filter system - VWs came with a screen (!!)
I also bought a stainless sidewinder exhaust and big muff, a full set of VDO gauges, and other small crap.
If this pic actually owrks, I'll post lots more.

Ya know... WTF is with these pix???? I tired posting and they show in the preview but no fly in real time. Damn
Sorry guys, all this means squat without pix.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,274 Posts
Choose the icon to the right of the smiley face. When the box opens, you can choose the pic you want and drag it into the box. I find it's easier to have your pics open and ready to choose.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,191 Posts
have to say there Max, was worth hearing you rant- haven't seen a bug dune in ages. Great little toy, if your knees can still get up that high..... road Uncle Sam's 800 ft express elevator a bit too much......

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,274 Posts
Looks similar to the kit that my wife's Uncle designed. He had a couple of designs...the Sandwinder and the Rountree. Here's a pic of him with Steve McQueen and James Garner. He is in the car. Garner is a cousin of one of my wife's friends.

This is a pic of his buggies...

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
Yes, very nice... now, MORE PICS!

·
newbert
171 Posts
Max what are your plans? I have some dual port heads if you want them if you're sticking with a VW power plant. I have no use for them outside of making book ends out of them since i got them for a hell of a price of $5.

·
Boozebag
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had another buggy for 10 years.
Porsche 912 engine that was set up with 1750cc slugs, dual Solex 40PIIs, cam, headers blah blah. Used to go to New England Dragway and run 13.2 pretty consistently. The muscle car guys would be totally pissed when they got beat by a cheesy dune buggy.
Also ran it on Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the dunes at Provincetown. That was the Shite.
I kick myself for selling it, but coulda shoulda.

Pursuit... pretty cool to have that kind of connection to fame. I've seen a few of those buggys for sale on Ebay and CG. CRAZY $$. Like $10K crazy!
I've been looking for a dune unit for about 20 years and landed on this one. Came out of Oregon, and the guy even delivered it. Bonus.

I still have a 356 B Porsche engine at home. Bought it 30 years ago for $50!! It will go into this rig eventually.
Sadly, Porsche crap has gone crazy over the last 15 years. I've seen 912 4 cylinder engines going for $7K.
o_O

Does this site limit the number of pix (bandwidth) that can be posted?
I'll take a bunch more and post them.

·
Boozebag
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max what are your plans? I have some dual port heads if you want them if you're sticking with a VW power plant. I have no use for them outside of making book ends out of them since i got them for a hell of a price of $5.
What do you need for them ($$)? I have a Porsche engine, but it's worth a bag of dough. I may sell it and stick to VW, but I'd go for the heads... PM me.

·
newbert
171 Posts
What do you need for them ($$)? I have a Porsche engine, but it's worth a bag of dough. I may sell it and stick to VW, but I'd go for the heads... PM me.

I'm not even sure, and I'll PM you in a bit I just logged on for work. I'll have to find the pics etc....

·
Boozebag
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More rubbish...

Stainless sidewinder header

Driver side of engine. Alloy covers and intake manifold for one of the 40mm Kadron carbs

Now you know why I'm replacing the crappy exhaust. The muffler (quiet style) will be next to the passenger valve cover. No more sticky outy glass pack POS.

Cheap disc brake conversion. I'm going to have to check it out. This POS goes way too fast for these cheesers.
I hammer it and the speedo is buried (almost) when I look down. It goes to 80 MPH pronto. It's like a potato chip in a tornado. If I have a motor wreck in this tub, it's lights out - I guarantee.
Check out the old E-T wheels...
Supposedly the discs are drilled for Chevy bolt pattern wheels. No adapters. I'll be looking at that shortly.

I'll be doing some heavy duty detailing with new and powder coated/painted parts.
I'm going to install a complete Porsche style gauge set up. P type speedo/tach and VDO gauges.

·
Boozebag
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I received some info from the PO. I need to adjust the valves, so I asked what cam he had installed when the engine was built. He finally sent me an email saying the cam is an Engle VZ15. I looked it up at the Engle site... .478 lift and .279 duration.
Not a huge cam, but good for strong torque. Sort of an off road grind.

Anyway, I looked a little further and found some reviews for this particular cam. Nothing good.
The lobes have very fast ramps which are really tough on valve train. More specifically... it bombs the lifter bores in the block.
The lifters/valves slam shut when they hit the back side of the lobes.

When I changed the oil, it was full of fine metallic glitter.
Many probably know that air-cooled VWs don't have an oil filter (!!).
They have a screen that surrounds the oil pickup tube which is meant to keep out small birds and big bugs - I guess. Sort of stupid if you ask me.

I did some more research and found several add on full flow oil filter systems.
(A) I bought one that uses the oil pump cover as a take off for oil to run through a Ford PH8 type filter remotely. It then returns the oil through the front pressure relief passage of the (2) relief valves in the engine.
(B) Another style is removing the factory oil cooler and installing an adapter to route hoses to a filter boss and adding a remote oil cooler.
(C) I didn't use the first (A) system I bought. I wasn't big on eliminating one of the oil pressure relief assemblies.

EMPI makes a nice mini sump filter system that bolts in place of the oil drain plate and uses a stainless mesh filter to filter all of the oil the engine pumps.
I bought one, but noticed that the supplied filter was not great at filtering really fine particles.
I recognized the filter as being used in another application, but couldn't remember where I saw it.
So, more research and I found that the filter is the same as many Honda motorbikes. I ordered several - the fitment is a 1978 Honda CX500 that I used.
Well, I finally remembered where i saw this filter. I have a Rickman Café Racer that uses a Honda 750 engine... Ha... same filter.
Rickman Motorcycles - Wikipedia
I have the identical bike that is orange, although mine has a Yoshi header on it.

Ok, this is a paper filter and it filters everything. So now, I don't have to worry about particle contaminated oil. This filter takes the place of the crappy oil screen.
Very ingenious design.
https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/127986687?gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEk6PGKlb0CHf6gVFgJeQrwVLl4m-pL-RcWhI0hkVE-dCTdEdt7jFARoCodsQAvD_BwE

I'm also looking at a Porsche 914 2.0 liter engine for sale. It is set up with Weber carbs and some performance bolt ons. It's a little on the $$$ side at $2,000.
Haven't decided yet. Stock HPs are 100 with the original crappy fuel injection and stock exhaust.
I am guessing it will put out about 120 HPs with headers and the Webers. It also has a bag more torque than the VW weezer.

·
newbert
171 Posts
That is a decent price for that Porsche motor, with the performance parts and the bump in power/tq it would be worth it to me. Btw check your pm's.

·
Old Fart
3,941 Posts
Finally a new and always interesting project! I don't know much about Porsche engines or their value so my advice is what makes you happiest is the right thing to do!

Also happy you figured out how to post pics and you can post all you want as far as I know since everyone else has no problems with any limits that I can see.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts