S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heck yeah thank you guys just bought my first truck 91 Sonoma want to make either a nice off-road truck or a sleeper can't decide yet. She needs alot of cosmetic work, paint job, interior, new tail gate and bumpers. Mechanically it sounds great for 211k on it. It's a 4 cylinder 5 speed. I'm new to the truck life so bare with me sometimes. But I'm looking to redo my suspension first and am having trouble finding a lift kit. Can someone point me in the right direction ?

·
the new guy
905 Posts
its a 4x4?

if its not, I would just do a cruiser until its time to do an engine swap. I would lower it a hair or two, put some wider tires, rear sway bar and go

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,731 Posts
He wants to lift it...not lower it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,731 Posts
Heck yeah thank you guys just bought my first truck 91 Sonoma want to make either a nice off-road truck or a sleeper can't decide yet. She needs alot of cosmetic work, paint job, interior, new tail gate and bumpers. Mechanically it sounds great for 211k on it. It's a 4 cylinder 5 speed. I'm new to the truck life so bare with me sometimes. But I'm looking to redo my suspension first and am having trouble finding a lift kit. Can someone point me in the right direction ?
Check with @BravadaX on lifting a 2wd.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
530 Posts
Look for 3" lift spindles and 2" springs for the front. Fabtech used to make them so do some searching and see what you can find. For the rear there are lift shackles, ad-a-leaf to the spring pack or even flip the axle under the springs for about 5-6" lift. This should get you up and handle a 15x8 rim on the front with same or wider on the rear. Swap the rear axle to a 4.11 ratio to help offset the taller tires. If you also add in a 3" bodylift you should be in the 31-33" tires size range.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
I never saw a sleeper that was lifted, is why I said lower it. sleepers are usually lower and less noticeable.

but I understand a baja looking truck. a lifted 2wd will fly in the desert and be a blast through the jumps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never saw a sleeper that was lifted, is why I said lower it. sleepers are usually lower and less noticeable.

but I understand a baja looking truck. a lifted 2wd will fly in the desert and be a blast through the jumps
Either have lol I wanted to lower it but the streets and freeways I drive would completely destroy her undercarriage. Yes that what I was exactly thinking flying through the desert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look for 3" lift spindles and 2" springs for the front. Fabtech used to make them so do some searching and see what you can find. For the rear there are lift shackles, ad-a-leaf to the spring pack or even flip the axle under the springs for about 5-6" lift. This should get you up and handle a 15x8 rim on the front with same or wider on the rear. Swap the rear axle to a 4.11 ratio to help offset the taller tires. If you also add in a 3" bodylift you should be in the 31-33" tires size range.
I was reading up on a forum on here a guy did a 3inch lift with a spindle lnstal and a rear flip kit it gave it @ 5ich lift he had to extend brake lines though no biggie there. You say flip the axel that will consist of getting a flip kit correct?. I want to throw 15s on her these punie 14s are funny to me lol. Suspension part I am a newbie with lifting but I am mechanically inclined enough to know what I'm doing with a wrench and a motor thankfully lol. I just replaced my shocks with OEM shocks for right now old ones where completely shot did a tune up oil change air filter has a new starter and fuel pump. Next spark plugs. Thank you for the input definitely helps alot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright guys I figured it out I'm either going to mid travel her i do alot of rugged rutted dirt roads in the mountains and hills not heavy fast turns either so input on coil overs and sway bar kit I believe let me know.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
530 Posts
Moving the rear axle underneath the springs just involves getting a set of spring mounts and having them welded to the top of the axle tube above the old ones. You will have to get the right angle and then switch the spring plates side to side for the shock mounts. The flip kit uses a mount that has tabs going down to the old mount which sets the angle for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moving the rear axle underneath the springs just involves getting a set of spring mounts and having them welded to the top of the axle tube above the old ones. You will have to get the right angle and then switch the spring plates side to side for the shock mounts. The flip kit uses a mount that has tabs going down to the old mount which sets the angle for you.
Ahhhhh yesss that makes more sense to me now thanks man def

1 - 11 of 11 Posts