S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to all this but I have a problem. My father gave me his 1989 s10 2.5L. He changed the head gasket and i had to put it together, now heres the problem. It was sitting for a year when i started to fix it. Got it together and it runs rough, it also is leaking coolant from the exhaust manifold. I know one of the head bolts needs gasket sealer on it but I don’t know which one or what else to look for. Any information will help greatly!

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
Just FYI, I don't know what you mean by gasket sealer, but you want to make sure you use actual thread sealer and not RTV or "gasket maker" stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See this is the information that i need 😂 thank you. I did not know that so thank you.

·
Boozebag
9,038 Posts
If you have coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold area... I bet you have a cracked head.
How do I know this???
These heads tend to crack in between the 2/3 cylinder area on the driver side.

Did anyone torque the head correctly? Did you see where the coolant was coming from?
I suggest cleaning the area carefully and seeing where the leak is.

I have not had to use any type of sealant on the head bolts. You can use Teflon tape on the threads and that is what comes on replacement head bolts.
I suspect that the head bolts are not the problem
I can probably help you with this issue, but need more info and maybe some decent pix.

BTW, they made at least 6 different heads for this engine. You need to replace your head with the correct one - if it's cracked. The casting numbers have to be matched or you will never have a proper running engine. They also made several different combinations of pushrods and rocker arm combinations.
I went through this BS...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts