S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bought the new ported throttle bodies from cfm technologies yet? They claim some impressive numbers on a fullsize truck in the 1/8 mile and I was wondering what that would translate into on a s10 in the 1/4 mile. They are $197 and can be found at www.cfm-tech.com

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I would say it's probably a waste of money, notice they say "75mm all the way through", I was under the impression that the stock unit is already 75mm, seems like they only ported out some of the throttle body and it still has the stock sized throttle plate, so what exactly is worth the $197? The throttle body is not the bottleneck on the 96+ vortec's, the internal design of the intake manifold itself is. You already have the throttle body modification done, I would say that is all the work needed on the TB at this point. Take that $197 and get some 1.6 roller rockers, exhaust, or maybe throw in a new cam if your up for it. All of these will net way better gains than this ported TB could ever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, and I wasn't asking for my sake, I'm done modding my 4.3, I'm in the process of saving for a LT1 swap. I put this up here so other people who might be interesed could see it. For the most part, I was curious to see how much of a difference this would actually make.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Cool man, A friend of mine is in the process of swapping a 94 LT1 into his 94 2dr Blazer, its been in for months but he can't seem to get the wiring finished up. I have taken a look at it once or twice, looks like a rats nest, I would recommend researching quite a bit about the wiring and what is needed to reuse your existing 4.3 wiring, also look into things like theftlock which will be an obstacle to overcome. To be honest, I would consider going with a pre made wiring harness made specific for your application if you don't want to deal with wiring it up yourself, they are in the $800 price range but I would say well worth it, most of the time they also include some type of computer recalibration which is always beneficial when doing a swap like you plan on doing. Good luck my man.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definately not gonna do all the wiring, I can do anything on my truck, but when it comes to wiring, I kringe. I decided upon the Lee's High Tech Conversions $350 harness modification. It's not a completely custom harness, but they'll modify the lt1 harness to plug into the s-series of your choice.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
That is great, I had just heard of Lee's High Tech Conversions, that is a great price and its good to know that a swap can be immensely simplified by a great company like that. Now I just gotta get my hands on an LT1 one day, LT4 conversion kit is really the only way to go, I would be going with a T-56 though if I did the swap, can you say "fun" ?!?! Good luck man.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been thinking against the LT4 conversion because of the price. I'm sure I can build as much or more power by going a different route. I'm thinking of the Comp Cams CC306 cam, Comp Cams lifters, pushrods, Pro-Magnum rockers, and either LT4 heads or AFR heads, and AFR Hydra-Rev Kit. I'd love to do a T-56 swap, but being that my truck is a auto now, I'm not sure if i want to piss with a auto-manual swap. My cousin has a 95 Z28 six speed, and I know how much fun that can be. The first time he let me drive it at the strip, I was cutting better 60 ft. times than him, but couldn't find 3rd to save my soul. I'm not exactly used to to short throw.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Oh I am sure you can build just as much power relatively easy without having to go with the LT4 kit as well, but if money were no option it would be first on my mod list to the LT1. My truck is a 5spd now, I refused to get anything else because I know how much fun it is, even looked for a good couple of months before I found the right truck, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree about fun, manuals are the only way to go, but I'm 18 now, and this is my first vehicle. My dad's friend owns a used car dealership and helped me find it. He searched the auctions forever, and 5 speed was my first priority. He found my truck, and I settled for a auto.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lees high tech does some nice work. I have seen a couple of his trucks in person. The first was a 98 sonoma with an LS1. Very clean and looked stock with the exception of the ss350 badges on the doors. He said the truck ran a traction limited 13.6 at a little over 100 with an auto. If you ever make it to the tampa st.pete area you should go to his shop and see what kind of project he has going on. The last time I spoke to him, he was putting a modded ls6 into an extended cab with the vette transaxle. The trick part was that he was making it a mid engine set up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Their work is unbelieveably expensive. I'm not planning on them doing my swap for me, I'm just gonna buy some of the better engineered products from them to make my swap a little simpler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts