S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had my 89 700 r4 complete rebuild, to include, vette 2000 stall, vette servo, all new clutches and bearings/bushings with hd governer. very reputable rebuild. i am no trans guy. first drive, 1st to 2nd still seems to "float" a little and 3rd comes in to quick, (imo). i know tv cable and geo has to be right. but, the builder hooked my lock up to 4th gear. fully aware that i need help with the tv, what worries me most is after it goes into 4th and lock up, shortly after it will drop back to 3rd. sometimes from take off it wont even go into 4th/lock up, but when it does, shortly after it will jump back out. im fairly sure thats not tv cable related. builder says poss to stiff gov and i am bringing it to him, but am curious as to what would cause that.

·
Randy
603 Posts
First lets clarify a few of things.
1) is this a 89 truck with the OE transmission?
2) is this an 89 transmission swapped into a truck that did not have a 700R4?
3) does this set up have a TBI unit or an aftermarket carburetor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First lets clarify a few of things.
1) is this a 89 truck with the OE transmission?
2) is this an 89 transmission swapped into a truck that did not have a 700R4?
3) does this set up have a TBI unit or an aftermarket carburetor?
im sorry, 89 s10 blazer with oe trans but v8 swapped. carb and cam. did the v8 swap last year and drove it 700 miles before we found a problem with the engine. trans shifted ok then, though i knew it had alot of miles so when motor had to come out this time, so did the trans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im sorry, 89 s10 blazer with oe trans but v8 swapped. carb and cam. did the v8 swap last year and drove it 700 miles before we found a problem with the engine. trans shifted ok then, though i knew it had alot of miles so when motor had to come out this time, so did the trans.
builder is trustworthy and bult it as strong as he could, and hooked lock up into 4th gear.
bought the jegs 700 r4 mount bracket for edelbrock carbs and also the small linkage adapter to the carb.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Check out Bowtie overdrives. They have a lot of info on proper setup of the TV cable.

·
Randy
603 Posts
builder is trustworthy and bult it as strong as he could, and hooked lock up into 4th gear.
bought the jegs 700 r4 mount bracket for edelbrock carbs and also the small linkage adapter to the carb.
Sounds good. shift concerns should be addressed separately from the TCC.
so here is what i would like to see.
With the truck off and the air cleaner on the bench...Unless you can reach the TV (throttle valve) cable with the air cleaner on.
1st. disconnect the cable from the carburetor.
2nd pull the TV cable wire only until you feel a slight resistance. This is the point where the cable linkage inside the transmission touches the TV plunger. Make a note of this with a marker on the cable itself against the housing.
3rd pull the TV cable all the way until it stops. this is where the TV plunger bottoms against it's stop. Make another mark on the cable at the housing.
4th reattach the cable button to the carb button.
now you know where both your idle setting and your full throttle setting should be.
with a friends help have some one floor the gas pedal. look to see if the mark you made shows up. release the throttle and see if your idle mark shows. If this mark does not show up, pull the tip of the cable and see if has slack. At idle the cable should be touching the plunger. this is where you can adjust the cable housing farther back toward the firewall. if it is to tight you can adjust the cable housing toward the carburetor.
I bench build these units and have an install guide. For the installer, I show the inside and what needs to happen. for you i have provided a way for you to feel how to adjust it. I attached my install sheet for you to look at the pictures. another good place for information is bowtieoverdrives or 700R4.com
Next we can look at the TCC problem. you can disconnect the TCC and drive this around in 1-2-3. I don't recommend driving the truck in 4th gear without TCC unless it has been modified for that purpose. 4th gear is overdive and w/o tcc forces the converter to multiply torque. this creates heat, TCC locks the converter to stop this heat build up.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. shift concerns should be addressed separately from the TCC.
so here is what i would like to see.
With the truck off and the air cleaner on the bench...Unless you can reach the TV (throttle valve) cable with the air cleaner on.
1st. disconnect the cable from the carburetor.
2nd pull the TV cable wire only until you feel a slight resistance. This is the point where the cable linkage inside the transmission touches the TV plunger. Make a note of this with a marker on the cable itself against the housing.
3rd pull the TV cable all the way until it stops. this is where the TV plunger bottoms against it's stop. Make another mark on the cable at the housing.
4th reattach the cable button to the carb button.
now you know where both your idle setting and your full throttle setting should be.
with a friends help have some one floor the gas pedal. look to see if the mark you made shows up. release the throttle and see if your idle mark shows. If this mark does not show up, pull the tip of the cable and see if has slack. At idle the cable should be touching the plunger. this is where you can adjust the cable housing farther back toward the firewall. if it is to tight you can adjust the cable housing toward the carburetor.
I bench build these units and have an install guide. For the installer, I show the inside and what needs to happen. for you i have provided a way for you to feel how to adjust it. I attached my install sheet for you to look at the pictures. another good place for information is bowtieoverdrives or 700R4.com
Next we can look at the TCC problem. you can disconnect the TCC and drive this around in 1-2-3. I don't recommend driving the truck in 4th gear without TCC unless it has been modified for that purpose. 4th gear is overdive and w/o tcc forces the converter to multiply torque. this creates heat, TCC locks the converter to stop this heat build up.
i apreciate the info. im not so inept that i cant adjust the tv cable, (i had to adjust it and add the edlebrock linkage adj, and the bracket when the first swap was done), but i know little of transmission workings. but again, my main concern was the 4thgear/lock up disengaging shortly after engaging, or not engaging at all during normal operation. speaking with my builder, we already had decided that he wanted to make sure tv was right, (adj and geo), and that was before this install. speaking to him about the 4th gear problem, he stated that the gov springs may be to heavy, or that the grease he used to help the balls stay in place hasnt disapated yet and causing that condition. ether way, im bringing the vehicle to him as i dont want to take any chances. my main question here is is that the consensus here? or does anyone suspect any other problem for the no or inconsistant 4th gear/lock up?

·
Randy
603 Posts
i apreciate the info. im not so inept that i cant adjust the tv cable, (i had to adjust it and add the edlebrock linkage adj, and the bracket when the first swap was done), but i know little of transmission workings. but again, my main concern was the 4thgear/lock up disengaging shortly after engaging, or not engaging at all during normal operation. speaking with my builder, we already had decided that he wanted to make sure tv was right, (adj and geo), and that was before this install. speaking to him about the 4th gear problem, he stated that the gov springs may be to heavy, or that the grease he used to help the balls stay in place hasnt disapated yet and causing that condition. ether way, im bringing the vehicle to him as i dont want to take any chances. my main question here is is that the consensus here? or does anyone suspect any other problem for the no or inconsistant 4th gear/lock up?
I understand what you are saying. I do not know what you do or don't know and was trying to help. it sounds as if you and your trans guy have this all handled. So I'm out of this...

Reactions: oldeerslayer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts