S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New project swapping a 1980 citation 2.8 engine in my Sand rail to what I was told is a 1992 Camaro 3.1 engine. The 2.8 is running a Weber progressive carburetor. The 3.1 engine I bought was in pieces and it came with all the machine work done which included the block cleaned, new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed and cylinders checked and honed. The cast iron heads were rebuilt and I received a complete rebuild kit minus the pistons because they were good. I did not get the oil pan or timing cover so that is what I am trying to find out which one. So far I checked the block numbers 10118608 and it comes up as a 93-95 RWD Camaro 3.4L engine. The date code is 27k4 which I believe it to be a 1994 block. The heads are 14054884 with a date code of 11 L4 so I believe they are 1994 also. The intake is a TBI . The water pump that I got was I am assuming is the original one which is a reverse flow pump. The crankshaft had 3.1 on it. I am trying to piece this together to put in my rail so any help would be appreciated. I have been building engines for over 40 years but mostly small block and big block Chevy’s. I am not running a fan on the engine since I am running dual fans on a 4 core radiator which keeps the old motor cool enough so not sure if running a reverse flow or standard flow water pump would make a difference. Any tips before I buy a pan and timing cover that may not fit would be greatly appreciated.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So, I think you need to clarify things a bit...

You mention a Citation 2.8, but then you're talking about Camaro 3.4...

So what do you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I think you need to clarify things a bit...

You mention a Citation 2.8, but then you're talking about Camaro 3.4...
So what do you have?
The Sand rail has a 1980 2.8 Citation engine in it now that has a cracked block. I bought another motor which I was told was a 3.1 engine. It was in the process of being rebuilt but it was in pieces. It came with rebuilt heads and a complete engine kit. The block and crankshaft had all the machine work done. It was missing the oil pan and timing cover. I have been trying to figure out which timing cover and oil pan I need by going by the date code on the block and by the casting number on the block. After looking up the casting number on the block it is looking like a 3.4 Camaro engine. There is so many different oil pans and timing covers that are available for the 3.4 engine that is making this confusing. The new water pump that came with it is a reverse direction one and all the brackets for the alternator is showing that they fit a 3.1 and 3.4 engine but they fit 2 different timing covers and oil pans. I am trying to determine which cover and pan will work for this engine without having to go buy both sets to see which one fits.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Ok, that's clearer now.

You should be able to use your old front cover and oil pan. The front cover will fit, it's the oil pan that might be a bit of a question due to the bolt pattern changing on certain 60 degree V6s. Being that both are gen 1 60 degree v6s, they should use the same bolt pattern, however, I know that the gen 2 FWD 60 degree V6s use a different oil pan bolt pattern, and gen 3 is different yet again. The early front covers have an angled flange to mate with the oil pan and this was used up to 1985, after which it was changed to a half moon shape. So if anything you might need to find a 1982 to 1985 RWD oil pan to retain your existing front cover. I know the RWD pans all interchange between 1982 and 1994.

Another option is to swap to a newer accessory setup using the later RWD oil pan (provided there is clearance for the pan, since they are likely a (slightly) different shape than what you have now. You can swap to the serpentine setup using the later front cover, water pump, brackets, etc. You might even want to look into the later FWD setup that is pretty compact, this later FWD setup will require a later oil pan, due to the aforementioned difference in oil pan to f

A couple otherconsiderations that will be more difficult to

Reactions: TBS99

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
Looking at your application, it looks like you might benefit from the design advancements from the newer FWD applications.

Reactions: TBS99

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that's clearer now.

You should be able to use your old front cover and oil pan. The front cover will fit, it's the oil pan that might be a bit of a question due to the bolt pattern changing on certain 60 degree V6s. Being that both are gen 1 60 degree v6s, they should use the same bolt pattern, however, I know that the gen 2 FWD 60 degree V6s use a different oil pan bolt pattern, and gen 3 is different yet again. The early front covers have an angled flange to mate with the oil pan and this was used up to 1985, after which it was changed to a half moon shape. So if anything you might need to find a 1982 to 1985 RWD oil pan to retain your existing front cover. I know the RWD pans all interchange between 1982 and 1994.

Another option is to swap to a newer accessory setup using the later RWD oil pan (provided there is clearance for the pan, since they are likely a (slightly) different shape than what you have now. You can swap to the serpentine setup using the later front cover, water pump, brackets, etc. You might even want to look into the later FWD setup that is pretty compact, this later FWD setup will require a later oil pan, due to the aforementioned difference in oil pan to f

A couple otherconsiderations that will be more difficult to

So it would be great if the timing cover and oil pan from my 2.8 would fit on this 3.4 engine life would be easier right now. Later I will convert everything over to Fuel injection and serpentine belt.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,729 Posts
86 on pans should work if it's a 3.4. The citation pan would be different. You may want to look at the sticky at the top of this section where I did a 3.4 swap. There's a good bit of information regarding the pans and front covers etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was able to swap the pan, timing cover, and water pump from the 1980 2.8 Citation engine to the 1994 3.4 Camaro engine with no problems. The 3.4 oil pump pick up had to be modified to fit in the 2.8 pan but now it works. Also I am using the intake and Weber carb from the 2.8 engine. When it is in the Sand rail I will use the HEI distributor that was on the 2.8 on the 3.4.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,729 Posts
So I was able to swap the pan, timing cover, and water pump from the 1980 2.8 Citation engine to the 1994 3.4 Camaro engine with no problems. The 3.4 oil pump pick up had to be modified to fit in the 2.8 pan but now it works. Also I am using the intake and Weber carb from the 2.8 engine. When it is in the Sand rail I will use the HEI distributor that was on the 2.8 on the 3.4.
That's good information actually. So you used the 1980 Citation oil pan on the 3.4? Hard to tell in the pictures, but does that have the two bolts that enter the front cover at the front of the oil pan? If so, it's interesting to me that works. So if that's true, that if people don't mind using that old front cover design (which I find to not seal well), you can use the old oil pan and front cover on 3.4 conversion trucks that are 82-85. I honestly didn't think that would work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good information actually. So you used the 1980 Citation oil pan on the 3.4? Hard to tell in the pictures, but does that have the two bolts that enter the front cover at the front of the oil pan? If so, it's interesting to me that works. So if that's true, that if people don't mind using that old front cover design (which I find to not seal well), you can use the old oil pan and front cover on 3.4 conversion trucks that are 82-85. I honestly didn't think that would work.

It does have the 2 studs that center the pan just before it curves upward. There is 4 bolts that go into the timing cover on the Citation engine and when you use the oil pan gasket that has the one piece design that slants up it will seal good when used with silicone sealer. I have never had any leaks on the Citation engine using this gasket. I will get better pictures later today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts