S-10 Forum banner

new pads/rotors smoking heavily

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rhygin 
#1 ·
I got a 98 4.3 4x4 and just put pads and rotors on the rears. I drove it approx 30 miles to school the other day and went out today and came back and the brakes stank and were smoking heavily. also has new calipers, something like this doesn't seem normal is it common with new pads and rotors?

#5 ·
Whenever you buy rotors, they come with a slimy coating on them, and between the vents, to keep them from rusting on the shelf at the parts store. You're supposed to clean them thoroughly with carb cleaner, or parts cleaner. That may very well contaminate your new brake pads

#6 ·
Is your caliper sticking?

#7 ·
sounds like frozen calipers to me

or collapsed hoses

park it before you cook the new pads and rotors if you havent already.,

#8 ·
i jacked up the back end today and everything moves freely. the wheels spin freely and dont when the brakes are applied. just smokes heavily and stinks when driving. calipers are free, one was frozen and i got a new one, which is why i replaced the brakes initially. nothing appears locked and car drives normaly. the amount of stink/smoke seems very abnormal tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.