S-10 Forum banner

New Owner Here... Why is my Truck so gutless???

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aaron91RS 
#1 ·
So i just purchased a 1990 2dr Blazer "s10 sport". (4.3 V6).

And first off ld like to apologize for the probable ignorance i have with this domestic truck. I am a proud Honda enthusiast an I just bought the truck to deal with the nasty Canadian winters. My 4 banger brain may not comprehend some of my trucks needs.

But whatever, It is in pretty good shape compared to most that I see around but its not really cherry if you catch my drift. It has 174000kms on it and is automatic.
It has no real mechanical problems exept for major holes in the exhaust and that the dash only lights up the speedo (the gas, rpm, and other surrounding guages on the digital cluster all go out and come back sometimes but mostly stay out).

Anyway the major question I have is why the truck feels so gutless. It seems to pick up really slow and have no real power. From my understanding the 4.3 is supposed to be pretty ballsy. My brother has a 96 blazer slt with a 4.3 and it seems to be alot more powerfull (obviously cause its newer but anyway)

Also the automatic tranny seems to constantly be changing gears too soon, just as the thing starts to pick up some speed it plops into higher gear and keeps drudging along. Perhaps an ECU issue? (mabey its just me but neither my brothers 96 blazer nor my moms 96 yukon seem to do that)

I was just wondering if there is any common remedy for restoring some power to a slightly run down 4.3.

Any help you think would be usefull to a new owner would be awsome.

Great site too by the way

Thanks
Marc

See less See more
#2 ·
Well you hit it. The motor is 14 years old and has 174000kms.

Try a full tune-up. I'm not real good on that year as to what it has. but do plugs, cap/roter, coil, oil, plug wires, get the exgsast fix. run gum-out fuel treatment in the gas for 2-3 tanks to clean out your fuel system. Also not sure what kind of driving it has been doing, but it has been mostly city driving, get that thing on a highway and blow the carbon out of the motor.

Try all that and see where it gets you. Just do the same things you would do on any other kind of car or truck that has that many miles and is that old. The stuff to change is pretty much the same from car to car, its the process of changing it that is different.

#4 ·
90 2DR blazer
4.3 TBI
(make sure its a 4.3 and not a 2.8)
doubt the 4ecu is the problem you have a 700r4 which is not controlled by the computer regaurdless it may be having its own problems (clutches or low fluid...)

The engine could be injectors get some carb cleaner and clean the outside of the injectors and the TB as much as possible, probably needs new plugs(AC Rapid fires are est app for it), new plug wires (just about anything that suits your budget), get a good cap and rotor Accel is pretty cheap, change all filters is a must, Oil change
then make sure no pulleys are dragging.. like a seized ac uunit or seized water pump anything like that will cause the engine to runn a lot weaker
GET THE EXAUST Fixed I had a hole from in my muffler before i replaced it and the power gain was huge.. the 4.3 needs back pressure and if the cut has gutted itself and the muffler has a hole performance is gonna be gone

1 thing you might wanna do is ruun some fuel cleaner through the truck before replacing the fuel filter then replace it and run some fuuel cleaner through it again and you might want to replace the filter again as it may pick more deposits up from teh tank then run a third time through and the fuel system ought to be cleaned... if yer still having problems watch to make sure the injectors are making a slean spray comingout if not thats probably the big problem and need to be rebuilt and cleaned or replaced...

#6 ·
My 93 sounds exactly as weak as yours.
It's doesn't smoke so oil isn't getting past the rings or valves, but I didn't do a compression check. I even checked the timing because I thought it was retarded robbing power. I'd just recommend a tuneup, thats what I figure I'll do.

Oh and for the back pressure comment.
ALL back pressure is bad. You don't not want back pressure.
NO it won't increase torque. You want good exhaust scavaging but not back pressure.
Just want to clear that up because way way too many people believe that some back pressue is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.