S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Purple 'Noma
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 1995 S15 Sonoma w/ 4.3L 5spd manual.

Here are some of the questions that I have.

Is this truck a first gen or second gen?
What makes the two different?
I'm not sure if this truck is 2wd or 4wd?

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, because the tranny went out while the previous owner was driving it to my house.
So hopefully next week I will get to drive it.

Anything else you guys think I should know about this S15?
I see lots of mods and how to's for S10's, but not many for a S15.

Any idea what the difference between the two is?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals might provide me with.

I'll have some pics up next week as well.l

·
What "Search&q uot ; Button?
223 Posts
Second Gen

First gen are the more boxy (?) style s. 82-93 I believe.
I would think that if you check you RPO codes you could find out if it was 2wd or 4wd. The RPO list is in the glove box, on a b&w sticker. I'm sure there's also a visual difference between the two, but I don't know were/what to look at.

Good luck with your tranny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes yours is a gen 2 s-10. If you have 4 wheel you would have a button on the dash or a shifter for the transfercase beside the floor shifter for your manual. Gen 1 trucks ended in the year of 1993 that was the last year the box style was made. Now the s-10 blazer didn't end to 1994. that was the last year for that style on the blazer, jimmy, Bravada. 2 wheels are alot easier to lower.
Also welcome.
Brettboom

·
Purple 'Noma
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I could use a part designed for a 95 Chevy S10 on my 95 GMC Sonoma?

I purchased my tranny rebuilt with a 1 year warranty. Do these prices sound correct?

$850 for rebuilt tranny with 1 year warranty
$129 for shipping the tranny & return shipping for core
$150 refundable core

Look right?

·
Purple 'Noma
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also if I wanted to bag my 'Noma would I need to get a kit for a 95 S10 or a 95 s15?

I have also been to suicidedoors.com and noticed that he performed that on a 2000 S10, would it be possible to do on a 95 S15?

·
No Kitty!!
1,717 Posts
Yes, almost every part out there for an S-10 will work on an S-15. The only real difference is the grille, headlights, and front bumper. Parts for bagging are the same too.

·
Useless posting member
10,828 Posts
the only difference i know between the S-10 and the S-15 is that the s10 is made by chevy and the s15 is made by GMC. Also the S15 is bigger than the S10 and if im correct the S15 has a bigger engine factory. usually parts made for s10s will fit S15s.

·
forum idiot
49,645 Posts
damn it...they are the same truck...one is NOT bigger then the other...jeez...ANYTHING you see for a s10 fits a sonoma...as long as its not headlights, grill, or hood....they are the same truck...same chassis...you could even change your headlights and grill to a newer s10...if you wanted to...and then change your hood...and there ya go...you have a s10...
oh and dude...if you cant tell its a 4x4...ask the person you bought it from...and if it is...there is three buttons on you dash...4hi 4lo and 2hi

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.