S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1972 pimpmobile
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I own a '00 s15 sonoma 4.3L automatic. I Ioaned it to my nephew for several years and he has another car now, so I am getting the truck back. It has four issues.

One, it was parked for extended periods and went through a few batteries. It started blowing the horn constantly and a mechanic said the alarm was defective. He removed the BCM. The mechanic and smog shop have suggested a new BCM for a few years and they have declined. I have the old one in a box.

Second, the driver's side valvetrain makes a racket when the engine is cold. Once it reaches temperature, the racket stops and it sounds and drives normally. The mechanic reciepts say one or more hydraulic lifters need replacement. Again, they declined.

Third, the oil pressure is stuck on zero, but there is no red lamp indicator. Apparently it has been like this for a few years.

Fourth, i think the rear main sail is leaking badly when it gets to temp. I see dripping oil where the trans meets the engine, and smoke rising from the crossover pipe.

All the fluids look new, they were changed a year ago and only driven a handful of miles per month. The engine oil dipstick reads high, above the hatch marks on the dipstick.

Goal number one is getting it home. I am wondering whether I should put some type of oil seal additive in, or something thicker than 10w-30 for the trip. It's about 115 miles. I plan on stopping regularly to check the oil. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

---
John

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
First, I’d tell your nephew he’s an @ss for not taking care of your truck while he had it. Then, I would not drive it 115 miles, I would trailer it because there are too many issues to trust it.

It’s over full on oil, probably their lame way of making sure it had oil, even though they don’t know the oil psi. That is first. Verify oil pressure. I wouldn’t drive the truck a mile until you know for sure it has oil psi. if not, your nephew owes you a motor.

End of story.

·
Registered
1972 pimpmobile
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just glad to have it back. They did really well with the receipts and the fluids look great.

They have no knowledge about cars in general but they spent a few hundred on smog sensors a couple of years ago and put new tires on six mos ago.

seems like the engine would be noisy and toast by now if it really had zero oil pressure.

i'm in a pickle alright -- several hundred to fix it locally, several hundred to tow it home, or take the risk and drive it. i have to decide by thurs am lol

·
Registered
1972 pimpmobile
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had good luck today, local mech saw the oil pressure sensor spraying oil at higher rpms, so replacing the sensor took care of the leak and oil pressure guage at the same time.

also they did not disconnect the battery so perhaps it will pass smog tomorrow morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts