S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I thought some guys here might be interested in this. I was approached recently to build a custom limited slip differential for a GMC Syclone. After subsequent development and testing, I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of my new Engineered Performance Limited Slip Differential for the GMC/Chevy front differential as found in all S/T trucks and Astro/Safari vans. I have been building this limited slip conversion for General Motors FWD cars for over 10 years. It is a well-proven design that has been tested over 600hp and run in the 11's on slicks.

The EP-LSD is in use in everything from the popular 3800 Supercharged platform cars (grand prix, regal) to Grand Ams, Cavaliers, Berettas, Turbo Sunbirds, RWD fFieros, even a 700hp turbo Cadillac Northstar STS that ran 11.20's! I build a unit for all GM FWD transmissions, automatic and manual. I have been approached by other non-GM people, as well. I built a few units for Dodge Neon SRT-4, a couple for old RWD English imports, I even build an LSD for the classic 1973-78 front-wheel-drive GMC motorhomes that use the Eldorado/Toronado drivetrain and weigh 12,000#... The first unit I sold in 2003 is still in service in my friends 1998 Grand Prix GTP former daily driver turned show car and has over 100,000 miles on i., we tore it down last year while he had the drivetrain out for detailing and inspected it. There was no measureable wear in the clutches or plates!

I have built and sold over 500 units for everything from street driving, drag racing, auto cross, asphalt, dirt, even ice racing! I have one customer who races a FWD Toronado figure 8-style on dirt! But most are driven street cars that go to the track now and then.

I understand the need for a front limited slip has been debated for a long time. I can speak from a front-wheel drive perspective and say, it is a must-have! Torque steer is virtually eliminated with the EP-LSD. Both tires will drive all the time. This unit is NOT a locker and does not require any modifications to install. It is a fully functional differential with NO CHATTER, NO CLUNK OR RATCHETING. It is imperceptible in normal street driven trucks. It is a direct replacement for the stock open differential. The unit uses sintered bronze clutches, cnc-machined and heat-treated pre-load plates, and an application specific pre-load spring rate. These parts and the conversion process have been used for over ten years in other GM FWD cars with NO failures of any LSD-specific parts. The unit is rebuildable, but the clutches have been tested over 100K miles in some of the earliest designs and had NO MEASUREABLE WEAR on inspection.

Please reply here if you have any questions or comments. I am happy to debate the need for such a unit, as long as it stays technical in nature. I don't waste time in "philosophical" discussions. or if you want more info off the forum, send me a PM or call 404-394-5776, 8-5ET. Thanks for looking!

·
00 Xtreme
3,684 Posts
hey buddy, it looks like you have a nice product, but talk to a mod, and get your post count up. This could be very valuable item for many members, but you can't advertise with your first post, or you'll see the ban-hammer. just a heads up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this works in the sytys will it work in my 00 blazer 4wd?
Yes, pretty much all 7.25" front differentials, regardless if its AWD, 4WD, 4WD selectable, any of the variations, they all use the same differential from whatever, 84, 86 all the way up to even the new Trailblazers.

·
I like boobies
315 Posts
There was only one company making limited slips for the S10 front diffs which I think was Powertrax.
The problem with many of our 4x4 S-10s including my Blazer ZR2 is the automatics came with an aluminum front diff housing which was prone to fail under the load from the LSD.
I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it but I wonder if this one would be reliable in an aluminum housing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the aluminum front differential housing for tearing up it was bc the Powertrax is a ratcheting locker style diff and when the lock, its hard on stuff. In extreme cases, the forces might have been high enough to cause case deflection and breakage. They came out with a "milder" version that had a revised ramp profile on the ratcheting mechanism and lower spring rates... Powertrax Light.

The EP-LSD is a clutch type lsd. It is imperceptible in normal or aggressive driving. And it will not damage the stock aluminum housings. Its all in the setup! If its installed correctlt!

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
What kind of price are we looking at for one of these units?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Soon enough. I sent my carrier to Jeff at EP last week, and should be seeing it soon. You can check out my build on zr2usa

Upgrading to an Iron dif, complete rebuild

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=53303&hl=

And the first Zr2 with RCV half shafts
Sorry, should have given credit to those who deserve it

Mountain man-for pioneering RCV's for the dime

-RCV half Shafts-thanks to ATV4Speed at Outfitter Design LLC
-Limited Slip by Engineering Performance
-RCV front prop shaft- DW at Oliver's Custom Drive Shaft

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
Reminds me of the Phantom Grip diffs used by some of the
turbo Dodge guys about a decade ago.
some of those guys swore by them...

·
Reiners Rigs
904 Posts
Well if I ever pull the trigger on my Z and need a limited slip front I know where to go

·
LSx Blazer
32 Posts
Hey vanr any updates? Did you get it in? hows it feel etc...?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.