S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy told me to run a tube from my throttle body to the wheel well (like the part that us above the tire). He said doing this would allow me to have cooler air (it makes sense to me) and that the tires would help force air into the tube. He said to just use a K&N filter, but I dont know how it would work. I cant get a cone filter for the end of the tube because it would rub on the tire, so I would have to have the tube just there (no filter on the end). That leaves me with the option being to get one that can go "Inline" on the tube. Any Ideas how I could rig one up to go inline, or if there is anything I could buy that would work?

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
I think ram air might be a better idea, that way you would be able to drive in the rain without having the tire throw $hit into the intake. look at how dirty your wheel well is right now.
bad idea
you might be better off taking high speed air off of the fan behind the radiator, but it might be too warm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wouldn't the tire also force water into your intake?:nono:

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the guy who told me this owns a custom shop here and he said he has done it many times... If you put the tube either behind or in front of the tire (if water is thrown behind the tire then the tube goes up front, im not good with physics) then no water would get into it. He basically said that he thought it was the quickest way to get the tube out side of the engine bay....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It will get you the most air but it will make your filter get dirty a lot quiker.
Imports do this all the time on their intakes. If you do want to do this you need to buy a bypass valve that goes in route of the tube. I dont know how it works but suposedly takes water out of the intake.
Friend has it on his Integra and another on is civic. My other buddy just put one on his Cavilier and he said it really works. He felt a slight difference.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do this then where can I find a filter that will work. I cant put a cone on the end of the tube because it would hit the tire. Is there some type of "inline" filter that could be used?

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
I just pulled up to some dude in a slammed toyota truck that had the K&N cone filter sticking out from under the passenger side fender. It was right there in plain sight next to the tire. Guess he doesn't drive it in the rain. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
dude that **** sounds gay to me, BY THE TIRE!!! i doubt it would be cold air, where i live the pavement is extremly hot and the tires are black...black conducts heat. the best place to do it is right up front, instead of fog light put a screen up so water cant enter and customize it so that u have 2 intakes, twice the air twice the power, let me know what u think.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what ya mean about the hot air... But I dont want to put it up front where a light is because while I am going for preformance I am putting looks before preformance. I still think that the wheel well cant be much hotter then what the stock intake is taking in and it would be letting alot more air in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok i have an idea but a ram air hood is needed to do this. find a hood with a single induction or a dual that is pretty close together. then comes mods to get tha ram air induction off of a pontiac firebird or t.a. and some how mod that to fit up to tha block. im sure i may be way tha hell off but im tring to think of something like that. hope it helps

·
Registered
187 Posts
easy stuff man, if you have a 94-97, that means your filter is already on top of you engine and you don't have to worry about it (well thats how my 4.3 is, don't know about the 2.2). anyways, just put the tube pretty much anywhere you want, as long as it is slanted down so condensation and excess moisture can escape. and for the fact that your filter might get dirtier faster, don't worry, thats the filters job. if your not getting a dirty filter-your not getting enough air to the engine for performance. and if your filter is getting really dirty, it just means it's doing it's job. besides the fact, K&N's are known to get dirtier faster just for the fact that it uses oil to trap all the nasty's. Think about it, would you rather drive 50,000 miles and have a clean filter or a dirty one? (after 50,000 miles, my filter better be dirty as hell):headbang:

·
Power Hungry Member
5 Posts
what about some sort of cutout in the center of your airdam in the front with some type of mesh screen over it that could be black, painted to match, or chromed so that it looks good...put it in the center of the air dam with the filter right there behind it but have some sort of splashguard under the filter so that lots of mud/water etc. doesnt get on it...this would allow lots of cool air without sacrificing much if anything in the looks department...i know i have seen some bumpers, airdams, and bumper covers that have this mesh panel built into the center, they are normally chromed and it looks phat...but anyways just a thought

·
Ground Force Truck Club
31 Posts
thats a bad idea, and plus, if your at high speeds the air is going to be a little warmewr that you think...tires heat up, and so do brakes. So you would be spending money on something that would work just as well as a ram air kit.. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
the only way you will get enough water to get in your engine would to completely merge your intake into a puddle. The bye pass filter will also take away about 2hp (since you get anywhere from only 4-6hp then you will loose quite a bit). The intake in the wheel well will get it out of the engine bay yes. Which means lesser temps. However it will only be a few degrees less (let's just say 15 degrees) but the air will still get heated up between the end of the tube to the TB. So you won't get to much cooler air. Also in the wheel well will not ram any air in so you won't be getting any more air. Just my .02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts