S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my amp installed. Took it to a shop, I know, should have done it myself, but its either been raining or hotter than hell here in Indy and I don't have use of a garage. Any ways, got the HiFonics ZX4000 hooked up to one 12" AA Atlas. Damn thing sounds great. I'm still needing to make a nicer box so that it doesn't look all ghetto rigged, but atleast the wiring is clean and I have bass. Now all I need is to upgrade every other speaker so that I can hear all the mids and highs again :D. I'll say this much, it ain't the loudest 12" sub out there, but for great sq for rock and punk like I listen to, I can't see there being that much better of a sub on the market.

If anyone has any ideas on a decent comp set I'm all ears. I'm thinking of going with the RE comp set and having the ZX4000 powering that. Which means, i'm probably gonna be in the market for an amp that pushes 400 wrms at 4 ohms. If anyone has any ideas, my budget will be around the $200 range (hopefully a little less).

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just finished building it. . .and the little amp rack to go with it. . .i know, the cutout looks like hell. . .have no fear, it will eventually have the sub in it, and you won't see my bad circle cutting abilities. . .

Hot Day + Cold Beer + Power Tools = Half-Assed Circle

Its not entirely done. . .i have to put a set of terminals in it and eventually it will get carpeted to match the ugly *** tan interior of the sonoma. . .

i'll install it into the truck tomorrow after i let the liquid nails sit for a night. . .the smell of mdf is strong enough in the truck now, i don't need to pass out or start a fire off of liquid nail fumes. . .i'll try to get some pics when its totally installed

heres the inards

heres the face

artsy angle shot

heres the inside of the box

another angle shot

ghettofied amp rack

heres my box finished, outside of terminals and carpet, both will come eventually

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said, hot day, cold beer, and a jigsaw, not the best for following curved lines. . .it's getting cleaned up later today. . .

think i'm gonna just cover it in tan automotive carpet to match the interior for now. . .not looking to draw attention to my equipment or my poor woodworking skills, so i'm not painting it or glassing over it. . .i may glass over it, but thats strictly for the airtightness factor, but carpet will still be going on top. . .

btw, any suggestions for cuttion a circle with a jigsaw?

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
I use a jigsaw sometimes.. and sometimes I'm lucky enough to use a friends router and circle template :) I can cut perfect circles with a jigsaw.. ya just gotta take your time.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Classic96 said:
small amp for thats ub aint it?

How is the hifonics amp...i was looking into buying one for my highs
not really, the rms on the Atlas is 300 watts. . .bridged the 4000 puts out 400 at 4 ohms . . .i'm looking to upgrade the door speakers to a set of comps or doing some 8's as midbasses. . .not sure what i'm going to do first. . .when i decide the hifonics will go to that and i'll be getting a slightly better amp for the atlas. . .all in all, i'm happy with the amp for now, i might just not know any better, but it provides enough power to get me some clean sound . . .

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
rmoore911 said:
btw, any suggestions for cuttion a circle with a jigsaw?
Less beer? lol j/k! Seriously though, that's just about the worst attempt at a circle Ive seen yet. lol :D

I assume you can follow a line. ;) So the only other suggestion would be to use a metal cutting blade in your saw, it tends to cut mdf better/easier/smoother than a wood blade.

Nice sub. :tup:

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cleaned it up today. . .and mounted the sub. . .i know, its the worse, but hey i was in a hurry and it was hot as hell out. . . i knew i had to let the liquid nails cure for 24 hours so i just really was cutting the hole out for ventilation purposes. . .gave it a day and now its clean, thanks for the tip about the metal cutting blade. . .someone was telling me yesterday that i might have better luck with that. . .sub sounds great in its new home

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll have some up later. . .left my camera at my buddies house, so i need to get it back. . .its still rough though, its not getting carpeted for a bit. . .hopefully it will be carpeted by truck bash . . .thats the weekend of august 20th, so atleast part of the stereo will be finished by then. . .still need to get that 3/4 drop and the dent fixed in the rear passenger side. . .too bad that wont be done by the bash. . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts