S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and sorry if I'm not posting in the right spot but I just picked up a 2003 s10 step side, with zq8 option 122000kms(76000miles) I'm looking to wake up the 4.3 any suggestions????

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
You're in the right place. You only get one bite at the thread apple...that means...no duplicate threads...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry looked like it didn't go through because it was still there in the window to be posted saw after the second one that the first one posted

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,250 Posts
replumb the exhaust from cat back and let it breath- best upgrade per $ you can get

·
Registered
357 Posts
I originally started with what Jayhawk recommended but eventually worked on the rest of the exhaust up front once I learned where the restrictions are.

Is yours a manual or automatic transmission? The manuals like mine have a crushed crossover pipe to help clear the transmission. I replaced my crushed section first, which helped, then I replaced the entire Y pipe with 2" pipe due to the restrictions where the exhaust meets the manifolds. Eventually I added a MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter after the factory cats died. All these changes have really helped my truck breath more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
One thing to consider about using a high flow cat is I have to use a spacer on the last O2 sensor to keep the engine light from coming on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome thanks guys, its an automatic, it has a Cold air intake(not sure the make) and the previous owner customized the exhaust already it has this really small box muffler with a down pipe straight out of the muffler which ends just before the bed under the cab. I haven't had a chance to really get a good look underneath. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally started with what Jayhawk recommended but eventually worked on the rest of the exhaust up front once I learned where the restrictions are.

Is yours a manual or automatic transmission? The manuals like mine have a crushed crossover pipe to help clear the transmission. I replaced my crushed section first, which helped, then I replaced the entire Y pipe with 2" pipe due to the restrictions where the exhaust meets the manifolds. Eventually I added a MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter after the factory cats died. All these changes have really helped my truck breath more.

I was thinking I would do a true dual on it, I don't want anything really obnoxiously loud but I'm not to worried about emissions as we don't do testing here anymore...

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you are wanting to go with dual exhaust, I would recommend a Y pipe after your muffler and then dual pipes out the back. True dual exhaust would be a bit tight and expensive versus the benefit in my opinion. The factory pipe isn't too bad once you deal with the small Y pipe up front and add a high flow cat. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...custom Ypipe. throttle body mod. electric fans. a cam. a wet shot of giggle gas. depends how much he wants to pay to play. play with 200hp that is.
Definitely wouldn't go that far on a 4.3 maybe some exhaust work and throttle body upgrades but I would v8 swap if I wanted more power, just really looking for some more throttle resopnse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shave off The hemispherical restrictor on the throttle body blade. Install an inexpensive smooth bore throttle body spacer. JBA or similar V6 headers (depending on emission testing in your area). Remove the pre-cat (if you have one) and install a straight piece of exhaust pipe in it's place. Install a hotter coil like MSD or Accel and some low resistance spark plug wires. I could go on, but this is some basic stuff.

Steve

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
Shave off The hemispherical restrictor on the throttle body blade. Install an inexpensive smooth bore throttle body spacer. JBA or similar V6 headers (depending on emission testing in your area). Remove the pre-cat (if you have one) and install a straight piece of exhaust pipe in it's place. Install a hotter coil like MSD or Accel and some low resistance spark plug wires. I could go on, but this is some basic stuff.

Steve
Have you tried any of these improvements? The throttle body spacer is a waste with all of the junk under the plenum. Modern cats are pretty free flowing compared to the old pancake cats. Unless he's boosted or running high compression, the factory coil works fine. Coils don't produce any more voltage than needed to fire the plug. 4.3's are pretty picky about the ignition components used. The General spent a fair amount of money figuring out what works. The factory air box is a pretty good CAI as is. You could enlarge the snorkel if you wanted to. A larger Y pipe wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried any of these improvements? The throttle body spacer is a waste with all of the junk under the plenum. Modern cats are pretty free flowing compared to the old pancake cats. Unless he's boosted or running high compression, the factory coil works fine. Coils don't produce any more voltage than needed to fire the plug. 4.3's are pretty picky about the ignition components used. The General spent a fair amount of money figuring out what works. The factory air box is a pretty good CAI as is. You could enlarge the
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and sorry if I'm not posting in the right spot but I just picked up a 2003 s10 step side, with zq8 option 122000kms(76000miles) I'm looking to wake up the 4.3 any suggestions????
Those 4.3s make enough power as it is it just depends on how good the previous owner treated it. I have a 97 blazer and run fuel system cleaner in it once in a while and make sure to check the rest of the engine out every three months. If you take care of it it’ll make more than enough for that truck.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
Fuel system cleaner will not do anything for your poppets. They require a specialized cleaner that is applied under pressure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you tried any of these improvements? The throttle body spacer is a waste with all of the junk under the plenum. Modern cats are pretty free flowing compared to the old pancake cats. Unless he's boosted or running high compression, the factory coil works fine. Coils don't produce any more voltage than needed to fire the plug. 4.3's are pretty picky about the ignition components used. The General spent a fair amount of money figuring out what works. The factory air box is a pretty good CAI as is. You could enlarge the snorkel if you wanted to. A larger Y pipe wouldn't hurt.
That’s some pretty solid advice right there. If you’re looking for throttle response then get rid of the, thing, whatever it is off the throttle body blade. My truck was night and day difference off idle response by doing that. I have hp tuners and have done some small stuff in the ecu, nothing real major. Ive got a set of camaro e fans I’m going to do as soon as I can figure out how to use the green/blue connector ecu to control them. Like everyone else said, full exhaust, mine is 3” stainless fom the h pipe back over the axle with a borla muffler, it’s a little to loud for my liking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for all the tips, I know I need a new MAF sensor so just gotta decide on which one, was hesitant on cutting the baffle on the TB blade as I saw some videos of people saying it didn't do much, the truck came with a CAI and "custom" exhaust not sure on any of the makes, the exhaust sounds horrible it sounds like a tractor.... i think I'll first start with the exhaust and replace the MAF as its throwing a code for it... I might go grab a scrap throttle body from the wreckers and cut the blade up...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts