S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for an inexpensive way to get a catback setup with a mandrel bent tailpipe is a gibson.if i could get just the tailpipe i'd go with a dynomax muffler.98-4.3 ext cab.needs to have a pass side exit like stock.any and all leads would be helpful

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I'd get over the mandrel bent tailpipe thing and just go have a 2.5" tailpipe bent up at any exhaust shop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its looking that way,might go with the gibson cat back setup.found a dynomax setup but list it as fitting the zr2 or ls with wide stance package.did either of those have a body lift from the factory??otherwise the cat flange would be the only difference

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
The ZR2 was the tallest version of an s10 you could buy, I do believe it was roughly 3" higher than a standard 4x4. I still would not personally bother with a bolt on catback, especially not gibson. You can get the muffler of your choice and a tailpipe bent for your specific application at a custom shop for likely cheaper than a catback.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after all the looking i've done looks like thats what i'm gonna do.walker 18406 muffler.2.5 in 2.5 out.and i'll have a 2.5 made to replace the 2.0 stocker.also decided what to do as far as modding the y-pipe as well

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$105.00 shipped to the house.2.5" tail pipe prebent with hangers from dynomax,and walker muffler with 2.5 in and 2.5 out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what made you choose the walker muff over a performance muff? I saw your y pipe builds and was wondering, are you worried about constriction? JW because im making a 2in y pipe and would be looking for MORE flow through the exhaust. JW

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
once i got the muffler,i saw the inlet and outlet both tapper down internally,sent it back.summit lists that dynomax tailpipe to fit rwd trucks as well as 4wd.doesn't fit rwd only fits 4wd wide stance,look at jegs description of it.did a test fit of the blazer y-pipe.it hangs down about an inch lower than the stock y-pipe.my trcuks lifted so that didn't bother me,but it was going to require some more fabbing and would have to be welded to the conv inlet,truck has 75,000 on it.after weighing the options of cobbling together a satisfactory y-pipe welded to a 75,000 mile convertor or installing a $300.00 shipped magnaflow y-pipe setup,i went with the m/f one.also a magnaflow 3 chamber xl muffler,a 90 mandrel bent 2.5 pipe to either exit in front of the rear tire or to finish off the tail pipe end.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i appreciate the link,but with a stock 15" aluminum rim and 235/75/15 tire under the bed for a spare the magnaflow tailpipe simply won't work

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Oh, I don't know. I have a 205/70-14 under my old 92, with a 3" tailpipe
coming out the back. Didn't have any issues at all and late models are
wider than a 1st Gen, though I don't know if the frames are different.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the tailpipe has to have 2 bends to get around the shock/sway bar link/spare tire.the stock 2.25 crush bent just barely snaked thru there.a 2.5 will be tough to do.i cut the heat shiedl off the stock one to weld to the 2.5 if i fab one.right now i'm leaning to a mandrel 90 bent tail pipe to dump in front of the rear tire.probably an offset muffler outlet and have the outlet as close to the center of the truck to give a flatter angle for that style exit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts