S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so had the engine fully re-built with master kit. new everything. put it back in and having trouble with coolant leaking through the threads of spark plugs. took the head off. no signs of misalignment of broken head gasket. this is waht i found inside..

any ideas why this would happen? how it would corrode like this if everything seems sealed? possible cracked block? or head????

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Looks like a cracked head. Did you have a machine shop check for cracks? Those 2 spots on the piston, are exactly where the valves would be, and it looks like they are spitting on to the piston.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
dents from the valves? Not likely.. as teh valves would bend and REALLY DENT the tops of the HARDENED pistons..

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
interesting development though. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you figure it out soon. Let us know what you come up with. What kind of headers are those btw?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
i was asking what the dents in the pistons were from, hence my question mark. also, i have engines come in all the time with dented pistons. its called interference engines and theyre everywhere. i guess you can classify it more of a nick then a dent but metal on metal makes visible damage, end of story.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
so we have interference engines? Know all about them thanks. That looks like corrosion.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
i agree the piston in the center looks like corrosion but thats why i said in the first post "the dent in the other piston". way to go!

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
I had the water jacket on my 2001 engine go bad. It melted right at the cylinderwall to water jacket on the front most cylinder back side, so inbetween both but on the front's side.. if that makes sense.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the scratch on the first piston was from a screwdriver my friend left in the spark plug hole while trying to check the height of the piston. i really cant win with all this shyt.

i changed the head gasket. maybe there was a chance it was damaged and too small to see.

i just have to finish bolting up the intake manifold tomorrow hopefully. then we will see. if not then im sure it has to be a damaged head of something. not sure wut else it could be....

ill post when i got some info

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
you are wasting your time and money with a new headgasket! also im sure you didnt change the bolts out either, you cant reuse head bolts.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
you should have just taken the head to be checked, while you had it off. As Dave has said, you are wasting time and money.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it was only 12 bucks. after i dumped over a grand into it 12 dollars doesnt make a difference.

i just dont understand how a cracked head would cause it to go crazy like this. its revving to 4500 rpm on its own on start up...

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
it was only 12 bucks. after i dumped over a grand into it 12 dollars doesnt make a difference.

i just dont understand how a cracked head would cause it to go crazy like this. its revving to 4500 rpm on its own on start up...
Yeah the head gasket may be cheap, but you CANNOT reuse headbolts, on these engines. If your head aint damaged now, using stretched headbolts down the road, will cause the head to lift off the block, crack the head, and do all sorts of other damage to your motor. I learned my lesson from past experiences.

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
dont reuse head bolts.. BAD idea.

vacuum leak for the high revs, or the IAC isnt seated correctly in the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts