S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyhow I have owned countless diesels from Ford's to Rams.

But I decided to switch things up and try a gas truck for the first time in 5 years I believe.

So I traded my rusted out 24v for a

94 s10 Standard Cab short box SS.

2wd, MFI spider injection. All black engine.

I have rebuilt the transmition, and added a Corvette survo. (4l60e)

I have also added a b&m transmission cooler with a magnetic inline transmission fluid filter. Transmission lines I cut and added compression fittings and rubber line for now.

And the engine bay is clean.

Things I have fixed, brakes, and abs light.

Blend door actuator, and vacuum leak due to a broken vacuum line towards the main vacuum pump distributor thing ma bob.

I have ordered new plastic trim pieces that where missing for the interior.

And a new pvc headliner for it coming soon including the sun visor, delete trim plugs.

Due to the sun visors where so weather damaged they could not be refurbished.

So I do have a question now.

What intake system, heads, and exhaust can I add for a bit of extra pep on the gas pedal?

Cams are a options as well.

But she can already spin tires in first with half the gas off the bad. And good tires.

I'm looking for a reliable but fun little summer driver for this one.

I prefer mechanical mods and no computer modifications bs.

Take in mind this is a MFI.

Thank you for your time to read this and your input.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! I take it it is a 4.3l. If you already have traction problems, more power won't help you much out of the whole imo. Finally someone that doesn't like computer crap like me (y):p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum ! I take it it is a 4.3l. If you already have traction problems, more power won't help you much out of the whole imo. Finally someone that doesn't like computer crap like me (y):p
Man if I can make a 12v beat a modern day 24v that has 23 grand in just engine and trans upgrades. You realize 5ms, +4.5ms plus wasted response time a pcm, tcm and sensors cause.

But yea enough bs around.

I have already ported the intake and exhaust side of cylinder heads.

Keep in mind this is a spider fuel injection system I like a engine that breaths, so I replace the headgasket and Intake gasket anyways for my own security and ocd mind.

Anyhow what options do you think are available for the best rear traction? Im Talking metal upgrades not rubber.

As I already have extra wide tires in the rear.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
94/5/6/7 were the worst S10s manufactured. their computer systems are a bastard GM child that shouldn’t have ever been roadworthy. Do yourself a favor, and find a 98+ they are much more advanced, and you can actually tune the PCM..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
94/5/6/7 were the worst S10s manufactured. their computer systems are a bastard GM child that shouldn’t have ever been roadworthy. Do yourself a favor, and find a 98+ they are much more advanced, and you can actually tune the PCM..
Mine is in top notch condition.

I do appreciate your warning and experience with the 94 s-10.

And my truck says 93 it was made in factory.

It's not the matter of computers for me.

Im wondering what heads and carb system I can slap on it.

I'm thinking a marine carb setup for sure.

But unsure what kind of head or intake to go with.

You know mechanical mods.

And I just ordered a Youkon locker.

In regards to lack of traction. The rear end kicks out while diving on the street. So hoping the Youkon locker fixes this.

But if their are common problems with the. L-35 engine please let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that's recommended over wider tires in the rear? And yeild better results?

Because I already have wider tires in the rear.

And trying to not slap the 12 wide I have already on rims. Because that's excessive for daily driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you have me sold now. I ordered the CalTrac's as well as a LSD for safety measures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful with your transmission setup. A Trans that runs to cool, is just as bad as a trans that runs to hot.
Thank you I appreciate that. I revert it to stock then. Untill I find something to controll the temperature accurately.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
There are no heads available for the 4.3 there used to be some aluminum NASCAR heads but they are long gone. I got the biggest increase in performance from a Magnaflow 2.5 inch Y pipe and cats plus a Flowmaster Super 44 2.5 in dual 2.25 out muffler and dual tailpipes. Anything beyond that is mostly money wasted on a 4.3 as it's more cost-effective to do an LS swap as others are doing and I'm about to.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There are no heads available for the 4.3 there used to be some aluminum NASCAR heads but they are long gone. I got the biggest increase in performance from a Magnaflow 2.5 inch Y pipe and cats plus a Flowmaster Super 44 2.5 in dual 2.25 out muffler and dual tailpipes. Anything beyond that is mostly money wasted on a 4.3 as it's more cost-effective to do an LS swap as others are doing and I'm about to.
Quick google search and I just found performance heads available for the 4.3

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Quick google search and I just found performance heads available for the 4.3
$1541 for a bare Brodix head? For what a pair of complete heads cost you could buy a complete 400 hp small block.

I did find a set of the used NASCAR heads on eBay for $2,300, I paid $1,100 for my complete aluminum heads to build a 383 for my 57. If your pockets are that deep, go for it.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Your no wrong their.
Maybe off a little on the cost but the point is that it's not cost-effective to build a 4.3 but at least I know how to spell there and word a sentance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts