S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my cat got so bad that the inner tube was bouncing around inside and causing an annoying sound. So i take it to get fixed...$215 for a direct fit cat +install or $92 for universal cat install included. I was like whatever do that but i was a little upset cause i figured id be throwing a code. Well i get it, start it up and wow...sounds good. oh look no code. So i get underneath to see what he did with my sensors. Instead of doing a half assed job like most shops and cutting off the flanges from the pipes and welding the cat to the pipes he cut off the flanges from the cat it self and rewelded them to the new cat so its still a bolt up. Looks clean as hell and i learned today how much power it was robbing me off. The increase in acceleration is amazing from just a cat. I mean granted its highflow but still..Im just proud of my partial new exhaust.... :headbang:
pipes and flow masters 80 series comes next...

·
Registered
335 Posts
What kind of engine do you have a 4.3 or 2.2?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
80 or 60 series? why not 40 series? ANY replacement cat is going to give you better performance than the dead cat you had, i had a brand new GM cat put on my truck after the cat gutted itself and it was a LOT more responsive and accelerated better.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
60 series is a 4 cylinder specific muffler, it will sound better and less annoying than a 40 series for sure.

·
CHEVROLET COUNTRY \/6
560 Posts
Ive seen it only in i small section of JC whitney but know where else its catylitic converter cleaner. I wonder if it works.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah 40 series isnt my style..Sounds good on some trucks but i want a mellower sound liuke the 60 series that is made for 4cyl applications... ya know

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it out on the highway....i cant belive the difference. i got a new cat becuase the old one was making such horrible noises and to my pleasent suprise it is much more responsive. For example the onramp to Campbell Ny from Hornell Ny put you in a part of the highway thats at an incline. Normally i hit 65 in third there and then put it into 4th and it drops to 60mph till i get over the crest. Today i hit 75 no problem in 3rd and continued to accell when i popped it into 4th gear. I used to shift at 15-40-65-70-75mph cause it didnt seem to go any faster after that even though i didnt hit readline tonight i was doing 22-51-79 and then i stopped...but it just went so quick with no lag..i am very happy with this. Will i notice a change if i replace the pipeing and the muffler?

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Should. :)

Saw on Magnaflow's site that they had an article and by putting a catback on a 2.2l, they gained 12hp. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Boy, I have to second this.

Today I put a new (smaller) low-restrict CAT on. The original (160K miles/14 years) had collapsed from overheating. Once it was in the air we saw a small hole in the muffler, so did the whole system.

Added a turbo muffler. The system had had 2-1/4 pipe until the muffler, then it was dropped to 2". He put the whole thing in with 2-1/4. $250 for the whole mess.

WOW! What a difference when I hit the street. What was acting like a miss that I have been fighting for a month was now gone.

Thanks to you folks I went looking to fix the CAT today!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts