S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting this here and in photoshop section....if it needs to be moved or something I apologize but by all means do what needs to be done........anways....starting a new project that I have seen done a few times before by airbrush artists. Started with a basic piece of sheet metal.....took grinding wheel and here is where it stands now.....next step is to get some kandy or transparent colors and come up with some flames or something. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Panda s10 driving mofo.
1,592 Posts
will rust not be an issue? or will the paint bond to a non primed surface.

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent really tackled those obstacles yet.....I know i'll have to use some sort of adhesion promoter and I'm sure eventually they will rust but I plan on clear coating it as well

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
it will not last, basecoats (this includes candies) and clearcoat will not adhere to bare metal, it will eventually fail and fall off, it must have primer under it

although, there is a product that will prep bare metal for clear, DuPont makes it but its incredibly pricey

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
hok---ap1 i think......might be ap02

matt knows......he'll chime in soon enough

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
cool i did the same thing like 3 years ago cut some triabl out of sheetmetal, hit with the grinder and sprayed some clear on it out of a can, hung it on the wall

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it will not last, basecoats (this includes candies) and clearcoat will not adhere to bare metal, it will eventually fail and fall off, it must have primer under it

although, there is a product that will prep bare metal for clear, DuPont makes it but its incredibly pricey
Mite be a dumb question but I've never done this kind of project before so bare with me......but what would be the purpose of primering.....and then grinding it rite back down to the metal to achieve the swirl effect? Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
Mite be a dumb question but I've never done this kind of project before so bare with me......but what would be the purpose of primering.....and then grinding it rite back down to the metal to achieve the swirl effect? Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way
yeah you are thinking of it wrong... what im saying is you cant spray candy of clear directly over bare metal, it will not adhere to it, its fine for something that youre just going to hang on the wall, but dont do it on a vehicle, it will fall off

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ohh no I wasnt planning on doing it to my car lol just have an art show coming up at school and figured I would try something different. thanks for the help though

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts

i have a panel i did 3 years ago. when i was a sort of newb and thought omni clear was the shit! lol i must have had 25 coats plus of clear on it, everystep got 4 coats of clear.

here it is....

im guessing 25 mils plus, well everything was fine for a couple years, then it was out in the sun one day and bam! split! i was bummed. learned my lesson. but any way. i stuck it out in the sun. for 3 weeks, it split all over the panel. i bent it half, nothing, paint ****ing stuck!

this was done with roloc and then hit it with bulldog in a can, and candied over it. the shit stuck dude. taped and all that, no lifting.

ive seen 50s customs with bare metal roofs and griding, 4 years old, looked good but an ocassionaly spot of rust. it works best on aluminum, cuz steel will have small pockets of rust form.

this is a kustom deal, i dont recommed it on anything but panels and a few custom things. it will hold up for the most part, but its a kustom deal, where rules get bent. dont think u can just paint a car with bare metal and it will be ok. toad knows what i mean. its for the sake of the effect out weighs the consequences.

if it wasnt for my lack of experience, this would have still lasted. i can now do the whole panel with only 2 clear sessions. maybe 7 or 8 coats max. but thats now. im more comfortable with my striping and airbrushing now.

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
yeah you are thinking of it wrong... what im saying is you cant spray candy of clear directly over bare metal, it will not adhere to it, its fine for something that youre just going to hang on the wall, but dont do it on a vehicle, it will fall off

this is where i get to flex my toad muscle!

u are wrong it can work and hold up pretty good. BUT only used for certain custom applications, nothing else. ive done it and seen it done.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
flex away...you done good:D

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a panel i did 3 years ago. when i was a sort of newb and thought omni clear was the shit! lol i must have had 25 coats plus of clear on it, everystep got 4 coats of clear.

here it is....

im guessing 25 mils plus, well everything was fine for a couple years, then it was out in the sun one day and bam! split! i was bummed. learned my lesson. but any way. i stuck it out in the sun. for 3 weeks, it split all over the panel. i bent it half, nothing, paint ****ing stuck!

this was done with roloc and then hit it with bulldog in a can, and candied over it. the shit stuck dude. taped and all that, no lifting.

ive seen 50s customs with bare metal roofs and griding, 4 years old, looked good but an ocassionaly spot of rust. it works best on aluminum, cuz steel will have small pockets of rust form.

this is a kustom deal, i dont recommed it on anything but panels and a few custom things. it will hold up for the most part, but its a kustom deal, where rules get bent. dont think u can just paint a car with bare metal and it will be ok. toad knows what i mean. its for the sake of the effect out weighs the consequences.

if it wasnt for my lack of experience, this would have still lasted. i can now do the whole panel with only 2 clear sessions. maybe 7 or 8 coats max. but thats now. im more comfortable with my striping and airbrushing now.

Yea I am still trying to get comfortable doing airbrushing too.....I'm used to paint model cars/trucks and I have wanted to try this for a long time so I figured why not.....but all the information is a big help.....I appreciate it

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Auto Air makes a clear basecoat specifically for this type of application. After the clear basecoat, you can put anything else over it. AND, since it's a water based automotive paint, you don't have to worry about chemical reactions with other brands of paint or flash times. You can use a heat gun or fan to cure it.

BTW sik.. I'm diggin the rat fink man. Good stuff.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Auto Air makes a clear basecoat specifically for this type of application. After the clear basecoat, you can put anything else over it. AND, since it's a water based automotive paint, you don't have to worry about chemical reactions with other brands of paint or flash times. You can use a heat gun or fan to cure it.

BTW sik.. I'm diggin the rat fink man. Good stuff.
now....i have a serious problem using water based anything on top of bare steel.....think about it

now granted there is some water content to any solvent based paint as the solvent itself is water based and evaporates.......

this is the number one reason i do not use metal conditioners on steel anymore....you mix them with water

1 - 20 of 29 Posts