S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after my stock stereo took a poop in my 98 bravada i purchased a new:
1. wiring kit (to prevent cutting the stock harness),
2. installation kit (to mount the new deck)
3. all gold plated connectors (from harness plug to deck harness)
4. and new deck itself.

i have the dreaded rpm thru the speakers and after reading the possible causes i tried 4 different ground locations and still no success. im close to returning the deck unless i can get another possible solution here. i am free to any/all possible fixes and wil post any/all results after attempts.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
What hu is it ? Most cheap hu's will do this and some decent units too.

Probably easier, to just return it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
First I would look into a few things.
Has your battery been deep cycled (needed to be jump started) ever or a few times? Once ur truck is running, you are on alt power....the battery is not a ripple filter essentially. The conversion of AC (alts produce AC current) to DC in the recitifier of the alt isnt perfect and you have some ripples in the DC current. The battery is a natural filter for this. If u ever deep cycled ur battery, every time you reduce its effectiveness as a filter for that.
Next, last time u swapped ur slark plugs, are you sure you got 'resistor' plugs. Most all that are 'called for' on our trucks will be. But some ppl will want to get a different plug of a different heat range and forget to check to see if they are resistor plugs.
Next, what does ur system consist of? Stock except for the head? Or do you have amps powering ur mids/highs?
What brand deck is it as well?

Unless there has been some major vehicle reconstruction and you forgot to install a factory ground (like frame to cab) or someting, the stock harness ground should be fine

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Run a dedicated ground for the head unit. Fixes it most of the time. Just take the ground straight out of the radio and find a good bare metal place to ground to. You can likely find one behind the dash somewhere

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys, heres some answers........

1. its a "pyle" head unit, from a friend for $40 (he bought it, didnt use it)
2. battery is brand new autozone gold series
3. new plugs (ac delco) as well as alternator (brand new)
4. aftermarket deck, everything stock (mids/highs/wiring), no amp/subs yet (until i get the rpm figured out)
5. i tried a "dedicated" ground to 4 locations and same result.

i did the "naughty naughty no/no". i ran a ground straight from the battery ground post to the deck (probably 6' vs. the standard recommended 12"-18". to see if that solved the problem, which it did. i then took half the damn pass front-end off to get to the antenna grommet and ran the ground cleaner and under carpet/behind dash plastics. if you have the volume on 00, you can slightly hear the rpm but nothing near what it had been.
a new deck is definately in the works, maybe next month but as for now, it beats the road noise and pot-hole blasphemy noises.
AGAIN, THE FORUM MEMBERS HAVE CAME THRU W/ KNOWLEDGE, THANK YOU!!!!!

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i have yet to install the amp and woofers until i get this damn pm issue deleted.......
heres a weird delima, apparently almost all 98'-00' blazer/bravada/jimmy owners who have had stock decks/speakers have had issues w/ both rear or multiple speakers just stop all at once, no rhyme nor reason. this dumb occurance couldnt include the rpm issues do you think??

·
Is that Home Brew?!?
2,240 Posts
did you try connecting a ground wire to the chassis of the radio instead of it's ground in the harness? Maybe it has a burnt trace on the board for the ground wire.

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have replaced the rear door speakers w/ a pair of 6 1/2" and as soon as i wired em up it was working.
i have tried both grounding the deck w/ the stock ground, to the deck itself w/out the stock ground wire and then both stock ground and deck ground both. it silences the rpm sound but doesnt delete it. im gonna try a new deck on payday (29th) and see what happens

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i concure, it was a cheapy to replace a blown stock unit (altho i want a stock deck once again). i will update when i get the next deck

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whoot woot, replaced the pyle deck w/ a JVC deck and its all gravy now. sounds killer so it did prove a cheapo deck can wreak havok on your ears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts