S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I just got my first project s10. Its a 1990 with the 2.5. This weekend Im gonna do a tune up, oil change, and some more stuff. What are the things I need to do for a tune up as this will be my first time tuning up an engine? My dad is gonna help me. Also what are some additives I could use to clean the engine, carb, etc. and help it run a little better. Also, my SES light came on while my dad was driving it any ideas? I also have a tiny oil leak, where are some places the 2.5s are prone to leak and how much to fix myself? Sorry for the long post i just have a ton of questions about my new truck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also my oil pressure guage is at full pressure all the time and my damn parking brake wont release...........even when i pull the pedal up by hand the light stays on that says parking brake.....what the hell?!?!?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit on your truck has failed which is why the guage is pegged. 2.5's are notorious for this problem. You can replace the sending unit and it should work for a while but eventually it will fail again. The service engine soon indicator could be lit for a number of reasons. How many miles are on your truck ? As far as your tune up goes the standard things apply, plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter (definately), air filter,PCV valve,c heck the EGR ect... There aren't any really places on the 2.5 that are prone to oil leakage they are generally sealed up pretty good but as time goes by seals will dry up and you could get some leaks. Where is the oil coming from? Sea Foam is a good additive for cleaning fuel systems just pour a small amount down the throttle body while the engine is running, the engine will start to smoke but don't worry this is normal. Pour the rest into your gas tank (make sure you have a full tank). The truck might run a little crappy(a little smoke maybe) for this tank but follow it up with a couple tanks of premium fuel and you should have accomplshed cleaning out your fuel system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
By the way your parking brake is probably not engaged the light is on because of a fault with the rear wheel ABS. Don't worry about it. I think every gen one S-10 on the planet has a lit brake light (take out the bulb or get used to it)

·
LT. Morgan
9,399 Posts
if the pedal jsut wont release then reach up under the dash and look for a little sivler thing hangin down and it'll probably have a wire fromthe brake relase leadin to it, if you pull it towards you it will pop the e-brake, but it'll knock the hell outa the back of your hand (trust me)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts