S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has Instatrack 4WD ('98 s-10 ZR2). It's got 2WD, 4HI, and 4LO, but no Neutral. My friend has a Jeep liberty, and was telling me how awful that is and that if I ever got stuck off road I wouldn't be able to be pulled out b/c the front end would still be locked?

How do the Neutral that he has on his 4WD selector, and the Neutral on the gear shift differ?

I'm confused... someone help me out...

-ee99ee

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
no matter whether theres a neutral button on pushbutton 4x4 or a neutral position on a manual transfer case shifter it does the same thing. basically you can have the truck in any gear including reverse, but as long as the transfer case is in neutral you arent going anywhere. mainly what thats used for is big trucks with PTO capabilities. and yes you can get pulled out if youre stuck, in 4 lo, 4 hi, or 2hi but it would make more sense to be in 4wd if youre already stuck. i have pushbutton 4x4 without a neutral position...i kinda wish i had neutral just to have it, it probably wouldnt ever get used except maybe to play tricks on my g/f or somebody like that to make them think my truck is broke.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So why would a small jeep have a neutral position on the transfer case? When would that be used rather then N on the gear selector?

Also, I thought PTO meant Paid Time Off :p.

-ee99ee

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
I dont know why a Jeep would have neutral in the t-case, I know older S10's did too because my dads 86 4x4 did, it was manually shifted. and this PTO means Power Take Off, lol.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
The primary function of the neutral position on the transfer case was to allow the vehicle to be towed flat over long distances. This would prevent the transmission internals from moving. In reality, it was used very little by the general public so most manufacturers eliminated it to save costs. If you get stuck, either place your transmission in neutral or depending on the situation, assist the pulling vehicle by applying torque to your own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts