S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to take my truck to track, so of course need the NSS to work as it should. Never had checked it before and of course it does not. I had always noticed there was no indicator light for park or neutral on the dash, but thought nothing of it until I tried starting it in gear, and it will start in any gear position. My first reaction was to throw parts at it, (replace the switch), but noticed the wires going into the plugs isn't real healthy looking, so now I'm thinking of replacing with new pigtails also.
I don't generally like the 'throw parts at it' approach, and would love input/opinions as it what may cause the neutral and park indicator lights not to work while also causing the function not to work. Is it a common ground for those two positions or something like that?
BTW, I've searched, and so many threads seem to go sideways and are so old that I don't trust that info.
One last thing .................the PRND indicator lights flicker a little, no other dash light problems, and the transmission shifts just fine. Also.............4l60e from 2003 Escalade behind an LQ9 from same donor.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
600 Posts
We just helped someone with this same issue and it turned out being a bad ground. Here is the thread, it has schematics that should be similar if not the same as your truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We just helped someone with this same issue and it turned out being a bad ground. Here is the thread, it has schematics that should be similar if not the same as your truck.

Thank you, sir. Mine is a floor shifted, converted from manual to automatic, so hopefully I can still find direction from your post! Any direction as to where the ground is physically located? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
600 Posts
Thank you, sir. Mine is a floor shifted, converted from manual to automatic, so hopefully I can still find direction from your post! Any direction as to where the ground is physically located? Thanks again!!
I believe this ground is supposed to be one of the ones behind the cylinder head. Don't quote me here I do not have access to the schematics page (.gov computers wont let me open the files) to check the ground locations. You could prolly visit that page and find them, or just give yourself a new ground like the guy in that thread did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you swap clusters? I'm not sure how a cluster from a manual car handles the PRNDL display after a swap.

I looked at some wiring diagrams and saw (for both the s10 and escalade) the NSS receives power from either a backup-light fuse or parking light fuse (depending on year)

When the switch is closed it allows power through a 2nd fuse (BTSI Fuse) before going to the stop lamp switch and then shift lock.

A look at the s10 cluster shows the PRNDL Circuit board gets wired directly to the park neutral switch. I just don't know if the wires exist in the connector on manual trucks.

Anyways your post is about the truck starting in gear when it shouldn't. I doubt track officials will care about your dash.
After your swap you needed to take the clutch pedal switch and effectively make that your NSS/starter enable wire.

You can probably just run a wire from the NSS assembly on the trans into the engine bay fuse box and just wire it into the existing crank relay

S10 and Escalades have slightly different starter wiring but the principal is the same. If you need some wiring diagrams let me know. Just need the year S10

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you swap clusters? I'm not sure how a cluster from a manual car handles the PRNDL display after a swap.

I looked at some wiring diagrams and saw (for both the s10 and escalade) the NSS receives power from either a backup-light fuse or parking light fuse (depending on year)

When the switch is closed it allows power through a 2nd fuse (BTSI Fuse) before going to the stop lamp switch and then shift lock.

A look at the s10 cluster shows the PRNDL Circuit board gets wired directly to the park neutral switch. I just don't know if the wires exist in the connector on manual trucks.

Anyways your post is about the truck starting in gear when it shouldn't. I doubt track officials will care about your dash.
After your swap you needed to take the clutch pedal switch and effectively make that your NSS/starter enable wire.

You can probably just run a wire from the NSS assembly on the trans into the engine bay fuse box and just wire it into the existing crank relay

S10 and Escalades have slightly different starter wiring but the principal is the same. If you need some wiring diagrams let me know. Just need the year S10
Yes, cluster was swapped, truck was 2.2 5-speed, so had no tach..... now has a 4.3 auto cluster, (6000rpm tach).

And you're right..........tech inspector only cares about NSS, not dash display. And I really don't care about the display either. BTW, it works, just will not display P or N and does funny things in other positions, like if I go 1,2,3, it will display those, but when you go to D it skips up to P, lights and goes out.

BTW...........back up lights and parking lights work.

I would appreciate the wire diagrams; truck is 1999 single cab og 2.2.5 speed, escalade was 2002 or 3.

I'm going to check B&M website for wiring NSS right on the shifter. I've done that before, but on 60's and 70's cars, way before wiring got crazy. I remember pulling engines back then and going "Man, I hope we can remember where all these wires go!" haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From B&M site:

If you have a neutral safety switch, locate the switch and identify the neutral safety wires (engine will not crank unless these wires are connected together). If you have a neutral safety switch, disconnect and extend both wires from the GM switch to the switch on the shifter. Run wires from both ends of the cut wire to the switch on the shifter. Put slip on terminals on the ends of the lengthened wire. Crimp the terminals onto the wires using a crimping tool or pliers. Connect the wires to the switch on the shifter. Tape the terminal connections and all other connections to prevent shorts. Reconnect the battery ground cable, disconnect the coil wire and set the parking brake. Check the switch operation by attempting to start the motor in each shifter position. The starter must crank only when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. Adjust the switch if required.

OK, from where to where on the truck wiring is the question. I think these instructions have not been updated since the sixtys or seventys.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So the wiring diagrams for the S10 are on this site, in the electrical section. For the Escalade you would need to seek out a Cadillac forum or books for those. Or a sub to Alldata.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll post some diagrams and such when I get off work later this evening.

Did you retain any factory wiring in the truck? Underhood fusebox etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the diagram for the S10

As you can see the starter circuit goes through either the clutch switch or Neutral switch.

The Escalade is wired differently from 2002 to 2003. Basically the 2002 is similar to the S10 in that it just allows 12v through to the relay in Park or Neutral.
The 2003 also powers the relay through the switch, but it also grounds the relay via the PCM.

2002 Diagram:

2003 Diagram

Technically speaking since this is a swap for the track you can just wire in your own relay as a starter interrupt relay that's triggered by the NSS. Don't necessarily have to use the OEM wiring from either the truck or trans harness.
Somewhere during the swap the relay or clutch switch was bypassed to let it work with the automatic.

·
Registered
807 Posts
the after market shifter should have an option to put a NSS in. or if the factory PRNDL swatch is there, it's easy to look up the wiring diagram and use the PRNDL switch as the NSS like the factory did.

i have no PRNDL switch on my LS swap, and use only the NSS on the lokar shifter to tell the computer if its in park or neutral, and it wont start as the NSS as intended to

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm following with you guys..............I just looked to see if the clutch position switch was still on the pedal assembly, (which was left in the truck for a possible t-56 swap), and it is. Thinking I can run the B&M nss though that circuit. I would still need to find how the builder by-passed the nss function and disable that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts