S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on installing a CD deck and some speakers yesterday in my '95 S10 4.3 TBI xtd-cab
I wired in some 4x6 in the dash, put new 6.5's in doors (only one in at this point), and a new deck (I have the harness hooked up and was just plugging it and uplugging in the deck to test the speakers because I don't want to close up the dash until everything is wired).

Here's the problem. I decided to start up the truck because the interior lights had been on a while as I was wiring up the speakers and I wanted to charge the battery a little.

The truck starts and then dies after a second.

Now when I bought the truck it had a remote starter, which wasn't wired in properly because it had to be used to start it (couldn't crank the key to start it).

So now when I press the button to start it nothing happens, but if I press the other button on the remote (for power door locks) it flashes the parking lights as before.

Checked the fuses and the ENG-1 fuse had blown (there was a 25A in there but the diagram says it should be 20A). All I had was a 10A so I threw that it there but still nothing happened (the new 10A fuse did not blow).

Also the dome light and lights on rearview mirror are on all the time now.

I'm going to disconnect the remote start first and see if I can at least start the truck before tackling the dome light problem.
I plan to just cut the wires to the remote start unit and connect the same coloured ones.

Any help/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated, especially wiring info (colour and functions).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out why the dome light was always on. I broke the little piece that the door pushes in. So I just unpluged it and now that's ok.

When I got home from work I put a new fuse in the ENG-1 and the truck started but the fuse blew right away, so there is something wrong with that circuit.

My haynes manual wiring diagram shows that this fuse is on a circuit with a pink wire that runs to the PCM, so I'm going to try to find the damaged wire. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is some help. check out these 2 sites, if this doesn't help just email me for a copy of the wiring schematics.
www.the12volt.com
www.streetdreams.com
they should have your wiring codes in the website, if not, i do.
good luck, musta been a friggin rookie , hope they didn't solider it... rookies and solider don't mix.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using Test Light

I still haven't had any luck.

Is using a test light plugged into the fuse a bad idea? Here is a link that gives an example
http://www.alfaclub.org/techstff/shorts.htm

I'm just worried about the high current going to the bulb would fry the wires or is the wiring going into the fuse box big enough to handle it? But I think this could really help my situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts