S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spreadin the Sickness
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf's dad gave me his computer because it doesn't work.

I take a look at it and find that its giving me this error on start-up:

"Ultra100 Bios not installed because no drives are attached"

Then that message disappears and the screen goes black.

Anyone know whats up?

·
AWD in the mud! mmmm
870 Posts
you have to reinstall the system bios, basicaly if there is no BIOS it doesnt know to do anything, so it will go black, i will ask around about how to fix that, other wise take it to a pc shop, but dont have them do it, just ask how to do it, so you dont get ripped off

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Ultra 100 Bios is related to the IDE controller. Sounds like either the hard drive cable is loose or you need a new cable, happened to me once. Check that the power cables going to the hard drive is secure and if it's a PCI controller that it's seated properly.

·
Spreadin the Sickness
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I checked all the cables and the message went away. He didn't have the hard drive cable plugged into the Primary slot.

But the screen still goes black and the OS doesn't load.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
The media might be bad, try loading a boot disk and checking if you can access the information on the hard drive?

·
Registered
315 Posts
When the ultra bios loads it should show all the drives that are connected, what does it show? Also the primary drive has to be on the connector thats farthest away from the motherboard.

·
i like them low
611 Posts
Imperialc00 said:
I'll let you know in advance that if we ever got married it would never work, just in case you were wondering.
mmmm okay seeing how i'm already pratically married to 2LO2TOW anyways.... but i'll keep that in mind...

:phil:

·
i like them low
611 Posts
yah... i still say throw it out.... and just tell my dad to buy a new one. :p even tho he just bought this one in JUNE. hehe

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
does he have an extra HDD slaved? i tried doing that with mine (wanted to load some info from a HDD from another cpu) and the O/S had conflicts, where the computer didnt know which O?S to load, thus resulting in a few beeps and a blank screen.

·
Spreadin the Sickness
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok.

He has a CD ROM
He has a CD Burner
He has a DVD Player
He has one Hard Drive
And the floppy drive.

I unplugged and took out the cables to everything BUT the hard drive.

The hard drive is plugged into the BLUE Primary IDE slot on the motherboard.

Still giving me this message now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts