S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's a 4. something
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I'm just gonna consolidate all my questions into one thread I guess.

Here's the situation. I have 2 S10's that need bodywork and paint pretty bad.

I can't afford $6,000 per truck to have them fully disassembled, body worked, and painted. I mean full on under the carpet, under the bed, ect... I'm going to do a color change on both trucks so it will be a LOT of work. Since I can't afford the body shop, I wan't to have my dad lay down the new color in my garage. Plus he has always wanted to paint one of my vehicles and it would mean more to him if I let him do it. (he was a professional body man for many years)

I want to build a PVC frame and attach some visqueen style plastic to it to build a sort of plastic room inside my garage to protect my walls and junk from getting overspray on them. I also want to put like 2 or 3 of those box fans from walmart under the garage door and shut the door down on top of them to exhaust the fumes and junk. I also want to add some of those central a/c filters to the fans to catch access particles from getting on stuff outside. And yes we will be wearing respirators.

Question #1: Will I die if I do this lol? It seams good in my head but I want some advice on whether or not this is an acceptable idea for a make shift paint booth.

I want to fully gut the trucks and paint every bit of the body panels because I will be doing a color change.

Question #2: What specs should I look for in an air compressor? Since I want to paint the trucks a panel at a time, can I use a smaller compressor?
Question #3: Will it make a difference in appearance if each piece of the truck is painted separate and not assembled?

I know these are some crazy and amateur questions but I just wanted some input from people who know what their doing.

Does anyone on here live in a subdivision and have an air compressor in their garage? I know they are loud so I'm praying I can run one without the cops being called.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The makeshift paintbooth sounds like a good idea. I did something similar to that. You need to leave the top portion down from the ceiling a bit and open the windows in the garage (air filters in front of them). This will create a slight draft up over your "booth", down through it, and out the bottom through you fans.

A respirator is a great idea, you shouldn't be breathing that stuff.

Buy an air compressor that is belt driven and has at least a 30 gallon tank. It will be fairly quiet and put out plenty of air for a paint gun.

Depending on color, painting in pieces may or may not work. Your best bet is to spray all the hard to reach areas, then assemble and mask, then spray as a whole.

Take your time with the prep work, that's where the nice looking paint job comes from.

·
It's a 4. something
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet, very helpful info. thanks man.

For the record, one truck will be jet steam blue (vette color) and the other will either be atomic orange (vette color) or synergy green (that new camaro color).

·
Registered
336 Posts
the funny thing is, this is EXACTLY what i planned on doing, and i mean, exactly to the tee. minus the color. im just spraying some satin black right now. but the only thing concerning me, is the paint color and spraying it serperately. if you are going to be doing such an off beat color like the blue/orange/green, then make sure you mix up ALOT. and i mean you might want to over do it a little, because you dont want to have more than one batch, and run the risk of having different colors on your truck. just my opinion.

edit: plus, if you mix up more than enough, then if you ever have a scratch or anything you need to paint, then youve got the EXACT color you need

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
theres nothing wrong with a makeshift booth... 2 of the shops ive worked in had homemade booths and i got some of my cleanest jobs out of them

·
raviolli
84 Posts
painting the truck one panel at a time wont make a difference if its at the same time. if youre doing one panel one day, another another day, and so on, it might be a little off. theres no say in how noticable it will be but the humidity and temperature will affect how the product lays down and how the finished product looks

as for the garage booth, sounds great!

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
painting the truck one panel at a time wont make a difference if its at the same time. if youre doing one panel one day, another another day, and so on, it might be a little off. theres no say in how noticable it will be but the humidity and temperature will affect how the product lays down and how the finished product looks

as for the garage booth, sounds great!

this is only partially correct, you can paint "panel at a time" with solid colors with no repercussion, but metallics you cannot do this with because gun distance, air pressure, movement speed, temperature, and panel orientation (laying down v.s standing upright) ALL affect the way the flake lays down and settles into the paint, and unless you can do it the EXACT same on every panel, then there will be a noticeable difference when you assemble the vehicle

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Don't use a box fan! They aren't sealed. You'll need to use something like this for the exhaust. Why? Because the chemicals in the paint you will likely end up using are flammable. Having a ton of it airborne, and a spark nearby.. well you see where I'm going. (Big boom) Regarding the respirator.. it's a must. Your dad already knows this though if he's shot paint before. What paint system are you planning on using?

·
It's a 4. something
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the fans. I didn't even think about that.

by paint system do you mean brand or base coat/clear coat vs enamel?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If it's all sprayed with same paint soon after each piece and it's mixed the same it will b close I think

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
Don't use a box fan! They aren't sealed. You'll need to use something
like this for the exhaust. Why? Because the chemicals in the paint you will likely end up using are flammable. Having a ton of it airborne, and a spark nearby.. well you see where I'm going. (Big boom) Regarding the respirator.. it's a must. Your dad already knows this though if he's shot paint before. What paint system are you planning on using?
hes fine with box fans, not once have a ever heard a box fan igniting anything... hell my dad has been spraying in his poorly vented garage for the last 25 years with a wood burning stove and never had a problem, Joe (paint toad) paints in his garage with a kerosine heater all the time... do you know how hard it is to ignite paint? ive tried it under various conditions, its hard to do

a box fan i wouldnt be worried about

·
It's a 4. something
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm going to just have my dad shoot all odd stuff like inside the cab, inside of the fenders and doors and then reassemble the truck and shoot the all of the exterior at the same time.

I got a little time to think about this because it will probably be next spring or sumer before I can do this. It's gonna take a while to accumulate the tools and supplies that I'm gonna need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts