S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
lotta dark, lotta loud
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Xtreme with a 4.3 and auto. I bumped a telephone pole a few weeks ago and bent some stuff up. The short of it is that I bent a spindle, and instead of paying $240 for a new factory spindle, I lowered the truck 2-3 inches for $190.

Now I have a little body damage to the front drivers fender still. After I lowered the truck, I had new tires put on and got a full alignment done by a chevy dealer. My question is that I seem to not be getting as good of gas mileage as I was before. I don't really think that the medium size dent on my fender or the alignment is the problem. Has anyone else noticed a drop in gas milage after dropping their truck? Does anyone else maybe have an idea if I have a problem or not?

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, admins please feel free to move this to another forum if necessary.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll step out on a limb here....

and say with certainty that lower your truck has nothing to do with lowering MPG. I would suspect something more along the line of disk brake pads sticking and adding more drag.

·
lotta dark, lotta loud
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you saying that there may be a problem with my front disks rubbing from using different (lowering) spindles?

If this is true, how do I fix it? :cry:

·
Registered
206 Posts
You mentioned you got new tires. If the tires are wider than the old ones, they may affect your gas mileage, enough to notice but not too bad.

I would also check your rotors for warpage and if your pads are dragging.

·
lotta dark, lotta loud
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope the tires are the same size that came with the truck. They are a different brand though.

I'll have to check to see if my breaks are dragging. If they are, how do I fix that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts