S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 s10 blazer with the 4.3.
Occasionally it had white smoke out of the exhaust, but it was mainly noticeable in park or when stopped at a red light.
The coolant levels are consistent and haven't needed to be topped off.
It has a slight misfire during idle in park, but runs rough in reverse and drive.
There also seems to be a consistent clank sound coming from the CAT.

I was told the white smoke can either be from a bad head gasket, or and overfill of trans fluid.
Since the coolant levels are unchanged and the smoke doesn't smell sweet, i'm ruling the bad head gasket out.

Could a bad CAT cause it to run rough?
What do you think it could be?

Registered
I would advise that you do a complete compression test , remove all spark plugs , open the throttle all the way open , and put a battery charger on the battery for consistent readings . This will give the most accurate readings on all 6 cylinders . This can greatly help in diagnosis of the problem , and where it's coming from .
After performing this test there's another that will definitively let you know if there's a head gasket out or cracking in the head . You'll have to go to Auto Zone , or Advance Auto , perhaps a different store that rents tools , but it'll check for engine combustion gasses in the radiator ; the tool is inserted into the radiator opening , filled with the fluid that comes with it , then a squeeze bulb is put on the top of the tool & squeezed , with the engine at operating temperature , any combustion gasses are drawn up through the liquid , and it will change color , if it doesn't change color , there are no combustion gasses getting into the antifreeze , so no bad head gasket , no crack in the head 馃槑

Registered
I'd go with Franks idea,then you know for sure ...word of warning tho- none of the advance or az's in my area have the combustion gas checker ,only the pressure tester, so maybe call ahead. BTW,are you sure it isnt blue smoke ? Valve seals do go bad on those and can crop dust pretty good, esp if you have clogged return ports.

Registered
Well if that's the case , you can use the pressure tester , with the engine at operating temperature , install it in place of the radiator cap putting it to the pressure of the cap , if the pressure rises in 20 min. , then chances are there is a combustion leak into the cooling passages , yet the combustion leak tester is more accurate in my opinion 馃槑

time to get cereal
Blue smoke is dark, and not usually as thick as white smoke. You most likely have a bad lower intake manifold gasket. Do a coolant pressure test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts