S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Base Model S10, 4 cylinder, automatic.
Trying to get it back together so my son can drive back to school tomorrow. Freaking out a bit.
Hoping someone can tell me what I'm forgetting.

Replaced the heater core and removed the dash and unplugged everything to do so. After plugging everything back up, truck turns on, but won't crank. Won't even engage the starter. Thought it might be security, but the security light goes off after a few seconds. Thought it was low battery, but wouldn't crank with a jump.

The lights, HVAC fans, gauges all work.

There is a single plug on the passenger side, two wire, orange and black, but I can't figure out what it plugs in to. Any ideas? Hoping someone can tell me and that's what's causing the problem.

·
Administrator
21,809 Posts
How 'bout we move it where it belongs and see if you get any hits...

Moved to 2.2 2nd Gen 4 Banging.

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
A pair of orange and black wires together under the dash is usually an interior light. Glove box, courtesy, something like that. If your truck didn't have a particular interior option it may have never been connected. Doubt it's the cause of your no start.
It's obvious something didn't get connected, but w/o being there it'd be hard to diagnose.
Have you checked the ign c and crank fuses under the hood? Both are in the lower right corner area of the fuse box.
The only under dash wiring on an 98 automatic related to the starter are the orange and yellow wires going into the ignition switch. Sure that connector is on straight and tight?
Everything else is under the hood or on the transmission. Are you sure the cable from the trans to the column didn't get misaligned. Try putting your foot firmly on the brakes and turn the key to start and hold it while slowly moving the gear selector from P down to D. If the cable got moved you should get some reaction just before or after the neutral position.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!!! When you mentioned the transmission misaligned, I realized that the cable had popped off. I thought it was in park, but turned out to be in first.... STUPID mistake on my part, but I kinda figured it was something dumb.
Put it back in park and the truck fired right up. Now to get the dash all back in and the truck buttoned up.

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. It usually something simple.
I have a young friend who is an IT tech and he says most of his calls are for an unplugged computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts