S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
tuckin' fx4
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my truck is getting its 3/4 drop tommorrow hopefully and its a standard cab if that matters but i have coils/blocks.
1.)what is the estimated time to get the drop kit on my truck?
2.) what are some common problems with drop coil installation?
3.)will cutting the dustshield mess up the truck in anyway if i ever wanted to go back to stock?
4.)is cutting the swaybar necessary or is it jsut for the lean?
5.)if the driveshaft needs to be shortened will driving it untill i get setback plates hurt the truck in any way?
thanks for any help im pretty sure i am doing it tommorrow i hope i didnt ask too many questions but i really dont wanna mess something up :gunfire:

·
tuckin' fx4
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another thing is do i have to take off the lower control arms or can i just take off the bolts that connect to the spindle and drop it down then pull the coil down

·
Registered
175 Posts
i did mine on my 97 myself in like 4 hours or so would have had it done faster if i hadnt cut my rear brakeline with the grinder...i just used the how too on this site and all went well for me.

·
long liver s10's!
286 Posts
1.)what is the estimated time to get the drop kit on my truck?

If you're doing drop coils and no spindles, i'd estimate about four hours on the front, and one on the rear.

2.) what are some common problems with drop coil installation?

Nothing too serious, check that your balljoints are alright- because with that low of a coil drop, you're going to wear those out pretty quickly. Have fun getting your spindles and shocks out.

3.)will cutting the dustshield mess up the truck in anyway if i ever wanted to go back to stock?

The dust sheild only serves to hold your ABS sensor pretty much.

4.)is cutting the swaybar necessary or is it jsut for the lean?

Order a belltech spacer. Its the least intrusive solution to the unmatched spring cups.

5.)if the driveshaft needs to be shortened will driving it untill i get setback plates hurt the truck in any way?

My truck is in the process of being dropped 3/4. An experienced mechanic took a look at my driveshaft, and said I would be fine.

·
Respect
417 Posts
it is not hard to do it takes me about 30-45 min per side but i have done it alot it might take you 3 hours to do the hole thing- y are you wanting to cut the dust shild?- the sway bar unbolts so you dont have to cut it- and it is only for movement side to side- common problems with drop coil installation is alighnment will be off- and most places dont alighn lowered trucks- but you can always find 1 that does- (so no big deal) and you should not have to shorten the d/s i have a standard cab that was 5/6 for 2 years and still had the same d/s- now i have been bagged for 3 years and still the same d/s- so there is no need for you to shorten your d/s- what year is your truck? get back to me

·
Respect
417 Posts
and you dont have to pull your control arms just use a pickle fork and seperate the ball joint(upper or lower) they are both easy- but just do one for less work- you should not have to replace your ball joints unless you need to then do it now it will make life easy on you- when you seperate the ball joint dont rip the boot or you will need to replace the ball joints- just take your time and be carefull

·
Respect
417 Posts
your dust shield should not sqeek i still have me stock one and no truck i have ever done has had it cut-

·
Respect
417 Posts
ok thats cool if you want but like i said i have never done it on my last 3 s10s and any of the ones that i have ever done work to and i have lowered trucks and bagged them and never did that or get a shorter d/s- so you should have no problems

·
Respect
417 Posts
if you have any questions you could call me but it is long distance im in colorado my # is 720/810/4476 im jeff

·
Respect
417 Posts
well how did it go? did you get to drop it today?-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts